yeast for Kolsch style ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have any trouble with my starter, I did 2 litres in a 3l juice bottle, with intermittent shaking.

I just went out and top cropped it, I've never seen such a great krausen. Filled a couple of 500ml jars and most of a 1l juice bottle with krausen, and wouldn't have been close to even half way through it all. Went back out 2 hours later and it's all back again. Feels weird top cropping after only two days, but at 1018 earlier today I figured I better get to it.

It's my first time brewing with (basically) all Pilsner malt too, so the colour really throws me, everything's Richie Benaud style off white/bone/beige....

Yes to Carniebrew, that's in line with my experience with 2565. And that krausen can take awhile to drop.

Just drinking a Kolsch done with WLP029 second generation yeast, trust me 2nd gen really lets the flavours loose on the palate, its a wee ripper

Best be brewing another 25L as I can't see it lasting long

Thanks for all of the suggestions, weren't expecting so many replies!

Where do people get high quality malt extract from (liquid or dry)?

The brand probably doesn't matter as much as getting it as fresh as possible. But many prefer Briess' CBW range. Grain n Grape stock 15kg containers of their LME that makes it good value, just keep it in the fridge after each use.

Latest posts

Back