Yeast Farming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bunch of old white labs tubes that I am going to use for yeast farming.

What would be the best way to clean? I'm not sure that they are autoclavable, so would steaming in a pot be a good idea?

Or would a spray with starsan be better?

Geez I know its only been in the vial for 24 hours but there isn't much white yeast at the bottom of the tube. Just a thin layering and damn near liquid up top.

chadjaja,

I know what you mean. All my vials have only ever had a tiny amount of yeast at the bottom. It might be 1ml at best. But working from there, you can step up to the appropriate size using Mr Malty's yeast pitching calculator.

Andrew

I just tried harvesting some 05 as per instructions.. I took 2 big jars full of slurry, and added sterilised water. They've been sitting in the fridge for 4 hours now, and there is absolutely no noticeable separation between the yeast and water... The steps on pg 1 say 10-15 mins..

Anyone else experienced this? Should i just leave them for a few days till they are separated, or am I risking infection?

From page 1

Next stage is to let the yeast settle out in the sample jars for 24 - 48 hours. You will now have a compact yeast layer and reasonably clean liquid on top. Remove the lid and pour off most of the liquid and replace with your sterile water. Shake well and let settle again for 24 hours. The liquid will now be quite clear, pour this off and replace with sterile water and return to the fridge. Check your samples over the next week and if the water shows any discolouration replace it with fresh sterile water.

You just need to be patient and let the yeast settle. If your in a rush you can drop the temperature by putting the jar in the freezer for a short time.

Cheers Ken

PS. The gas manifold I bought from you is working a treat! :D

Can someone clarify the process for me as it is worded poorly?

Is it meant to be:

1. Collect yeast slurry from fermentor in Jar A
2. Leave for 15 min
3. Pour top 3/4 of liquid from Jar A into Jar B
4. Top up Jar B with sterilised water
5. Discard remaining liquid in Jar A
6. Sterilise Jar A
7. Leave for 15 min
8. Repeat steps 3 to 7 four times, saving the top 3/4 of liquid from each transfer
9. Store in fridge for 24-48 hours
10. Discard most of liquid
11. Top up with sterilised water and shake
12. Store in fridge for 24 hours
13. Discard liquid if it is discoloured, otherwise store in fridge until usage

cheers

what do you guys use for sample jars/test tubes?

i've got some of these ones from www.proscitech.com.au:

lp4413v.jpg

they hold about 50ml.. but I'd like to hold a bit more slurry if possible. Does anyone have suggestions as to which tube would be suitable (and autoclavable)?

Also, how do you know if they are autoclavable? I've noticed some of the items say not autoclavable, so if it doesn't say do you presume it is safe?

I am actually only using a steam cooker type set up, so I doubt it would actually get to the temps of an autoclave.

How do ppl here sanitise their tubes? Steaming or just with no rinse?

Having an issue here but took a pic to see what others think. Having trouble separating what looks like yeast. Note in the pick the white substance has settled out to the bottom of the jar. This happened very quickly and is lumpy in texture. It also sticks to the bottom of the jar like Nottingham would.
Yeast is Wyeast 1968, Wyeast's website says "Yeast traps trub easily and autolysis during storage is accelaerated." I am thinking of making a starter/ 4-5lt wort to try harvesting a little easier.

Yeast_1968__Small_.JPG

is there any problem with freezing samples of yeast slurry?

I noticed that in the other 'similar procedure' links on Pg 1, they add glycerin to the samples, and freeze.

I only have freezer space, so I'm going to have to freeze my samples. Is glycerin necessary for this?

I noticed that in the other 'similar procedure' links on Pg 1, they add glycerin to the samples, and freeze.

I only have freezer space, so I'm going to have to freeze my samples. Is glycerin necessary for this?

I believe the theory is if you just use water/wort that when freezing the water crystalises and the crystals may rupture the yeast cell walls. Using glycerin is supposed to stop this.

Have no proof as I do not freeze yeast.

Regards

Graeme

This deserves recognition. Alby, know that someone out there liked it.

Can you do a pale ale recipe in haiku form? I'd brew it.
Hey wardy, try this on...more of an IPA though

Pale, Munich, Carared
Mash at sixty-eight, drain, boil
C hop every five.

You will definately need to include glycerin in the mixture at a rate of 15 - 25% of the total volume being frozen. I have frozen yeast in this manner many times. You will need to be anal about cleanliness and sterilisation!

I believe the theory is if you just use water/wort that when freezing the water crystalises and the crystals may rupture the yeast cell walls. Using glycerin is supposed to stop this.

Yep, the crystalline structure of the freezing water literally pierces the walls of the yeast cells.

Think of it as a yeast massacre.

If you listen closely, you might even hear them scream.

i vaguely remember that spillsmostofit froze some of his yeast slurry's etc. maybe give him a PM and see what he says?

hi,

I use the dried yeast US-05 often in a nice golden ale..

Is it worth yeast farming the US-05?

Guide to Yeast Culturing by MB Raines

I base most of my math for calculating starter size and propogation growth factors on the information in this site.

Chuck - do you find this accurate?
The (often reused) graph that Raines provides is complete bollocks in my experience :ph34r: . I think I've seen another graph from a well circulated site that suggests 10x population increase from using a stirbar.

I find - fairly consistently - that the stirplate tends to give about double the population of a non-agitated starter, and a shaken starter might improve your population by maybe 20-30%. That one's hard to say definitively as shaking is usually a bit ad-hoc.
I can't speak fro aerated starters at all.

Anybody else have a bead on this?

just thought it was cheap enough to buy packs instead of stepping up the sludge/slant... but I see your point i do use it often so $0 v $6~ = good business sense..

just thought it was cheap enough to buy packs instead of stepping up the sludge/slant... but I see your point i do use it often so $0 v $6~ = good business sense..

And then look at it like this, say 3 gens at 3 reuses per gen 3 x 3 plus the original = 10 brews (if not taking 3x from each brew to many figures to worry about) 10 x $6 = $60 compared to $6.

works for me.

Cheers
Gavo.

Back