Yeast Behaving Badly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrenny

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've got a brew bottled at the moment that tastes allright, but has some killer floaties in it. The yeast hasn't really compacted, and when you open a bottle, the bubbles stir it up. It looks bits like snot floating around in there.

The yeast was American Ale US-05 dried yeast. The beer was a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale.

The beer tastes fine, I can't notice any hint of an infection. It's pretty cloudy though.

Any ideas on the cause?

Cheers,
Wrenny

Hey guys.

I've got a brew bottled at the moment that tastes allright, but has some killer floaties in it. The yeast hasn't really compacted, and when you open a bottle, the bubbles stir it up. It looks bits like snot floating around in there.

The yeast was American Ale US-05 dried yeast. The beer was a Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale.

The beer tastes fine, I can't notice any hint of an infection. It's pretty cloudy though.

Any ideas on the cause?

Cheers,
Wrenny

sounds like a nice pale ale
Coopers Pale ale on tap I have seen some wicked large yeast balls in that beer

It would nt worry me, she d be a nice beer by the sounds of it

Hi wrenny i found the same thing with a bright ale i recently did... however i have used the same yeast in an APA and added some gelatin at the end and it settled beautifully

Could be just a yeast that didn't want to settle easily, in which case bung the bottles in the fridge for a few weeks and hopefully settle out. But since you mentioned the keyword "snot", this could be a wild yeast infection. Some yeasts produce what is occasionally described as snot or more commonly as "ropey" structures in the beer. If you think it is ropey, then its probably an infection. In which case: drink up!

Berp.

Edit: spelung

How soon after fermentation did you bottle?
I've found if I only wait a few days after fermentation is finished to bottle I often get the same effect: almost like yeast dust bunnies.
In my experience it helps to leave the finished beer in the primary for the yeast to settle, preferably cooler than primary fermentation temperature for about a week. It drastically reduces the amount of yeast in the bottles and you only get a thin film on the bottom. Still enough to carbonate with no major problems.

MFS

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I didn't use any geletin on this one. Might start doing that again.

Could definately be an infection, as my set up seems to be very infection prone. Good thing is it hasn't affected the taste. Only a few bottles to go, so no risk of bottle bombs.

Cheers,
Wrenny

mfds,

I think I'll start doing that too. I've got a decent stockpile for chrissi now, so no need to rush.

Latest posts

Back