Yankee Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Weyermann) Melanoidin Malt? I recall (probably incorrectly) that a well-known American home brewer uses it instead of decocting... Happy to be corrected.
Yes, sorry, you're probably quite right Spills- Melanoidin (Weyermann) is worth a whirl as a decoction substitute, as is Aromatic (Dingeman). I've used both and they're fairly close as an approximation, I just felt that a few sections of the flavour profile needed filling and that couldn't be achieved by simply increasing the rate (which was like a cloying crystal overdose). Melanoidin is very powerful stuff, 150g per 23L batch was plenty for me while Aromatic less so, although I've seen it suggested that it can be used up to 100%, but I'd need convincing before I tried it myself.

I'm *cough* 'revising' some code for controlling my new kegerator right now and enjoying a beer with 1.56% Melanoidin, 3.13% JW Dark Crystal and 4.38% JW Light Crystal (Cara), plus Bairds pale choc and Powells Munich in it. Not cloying at all!

Admittedly, it's an IPA, so my comment serves no porpoise whatsoever except to highlight that I am drinking a beer at 16:15 on a Thursday... :D

Thanks guys, things to consider. I'll look up "Dr S' hops schedule" to see what that is all about.

Hrm no luck. Dr. S is short for?
Oh hey, ya'll are just about into next year...sigh we'll be a year apart soon.

Is decoction/carmalizing a substitute for using a body grain in a recipe? I am looking at an Aventinus clone that uses 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40, would I omit that and up the base malts with equivalent ppg?

So are you saying you do a decoction and carmelize on DrSmurto's ESB? I've been looking for a really good ESB, heard to find surprisingly.
Well no, now I just use his recipe's hops layout, that's the recipe I started with though. I'm getting a beer in the style of the recipe with just the base malt (Fawcett's GP), so decoction and caramelising has largely replaced everything else. I won't say completely replaced because it is actually different to the recipe and just happens to suit my tastes.

BTW, Dr S mentioned recently that he now prefers a 3% Caraaroma + MO recipe instead with more of the late hops (Styrian Goldings to 2g/L). I had come to much the same conclusion myself, quite independently I might add, while I nearly fell off my chair when he mentioned it. :blink:
Is decoction/carmalizing a substitute for using a body grain in a recipe? I am looking at an Aventinus clone that uses 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40, would I omit that and up the base malts with equivalent ppg?
I'm not familiar with the Aventinus stable at all so it is hard to say but there may be characteristics in them which neither of those processes provide. About all I can suggest is to try two batches, one by the standard recipe, one just decocted base malt. I'd guess the caramelised wort wouldn't be needed, that's something peculiar to the Landlord (and a few other ESBs), but by all means try it for a different twist.
To answer your questions though, in my case I've been able to substitute spec malts in a recipe with these two processes to my own satisfaction, I can't say that it would work across the board, particularly considering the range of spec malts we have at our disposal. The results are different and I just think of them as additional techniques to manipulate the flavour profile, with or without spec malts. And yes, just omit the Caramunich and up the base malt quantity proportionally if you do try it.
Other factors such as mash temperature can have some profound effects too, I'm tending toward lower temps ATM as TTL is a fairly dry beer and that's also what I prefer, but you could also mash higher for increased body as well.

Good luck and happy new year!

Anyone offer insight into tips for coming up with a recipe for a beer that will be aged a minimum of 5 years?

Strong - medium to dark in colour - much much higher in bitterness than you would otherwise use, basically it should be almost undrinkable when you bottle it.

A barleywine, Old ale, Strong Stout, Belgian strong Dark etc etc

Other things would do too, but they are my suggestions

The "DO" List so far:
Oxygenated caps
Wax the caps
Use CO2 to purge vessels and lines to minimize oxygenation issues
Skip aroma hops
Higher IBU<--------------------------------------------------------------------Does Hop IBU mellow with time or is it flavor that mellows?
Cool aging in my cellar
Cold crash before bottling
12-14% ABV
Sugar additions to reach ABV
10-12% roasted malt
Pitch onto a lighter ale yeast cake or huge starter

I'm leaning RIS, maybe even chocolate or espresso.

IBUs decrease with time which is why old beer often seems to get "sweeter" - the balance shifts towards sweetness as the bitterness drops away.

"Cold Crash before bottling" - as a matter of fact I would fine the beer, cold crash it and give it an extended period of cold conditioning, then add back a very small amount of fresh yeast at bottling. Your strong beer will carbonate better with fresh yeast anyway - and you want the minimum possible level of yeast in the bottle to minimise autolysis flavours.

Actually - I would filter, force carb and CP fill.... but that's just me.

IBUs decrease with time which is why old beer often seems to get "sweeter" - the balance shifts towards sweetness as the bitterness drops away.

"Cold Crash before bottling" - as a matter of fact I would fine the beer, cold crash it and give it an extended period of cold conditioning, then add back a very small amount of fresh yeast at bottling. Your strong beer will carbonate better with fresh yeast anyway - and you want the minimum possible level of yeast in the bottle to minimise autolysis flavours.

Actually - I would filter, force carb and CP fill.... but that's just me.

I'm bottling a cider today that has had this treatment (not the CP nonsense - cold/filter/re-yeast/bottle). Apart from all the hidden difficulties and unforeseen failures, I think it a surprisingly easy and effective method.

A step closer, here's my current draft recipe (hope you can forgive the units):

Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain-BIAB

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.144 SG
Estimated Color: 50.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 129.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Bitterness Ratio: 0.901
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
20.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.81 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.03 %
5.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 129.3 IBU
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %

S-05 Yeast cake

90 Minute mash full boil volume @ 154F
Low 60s F fermentation

I'll have to adjust it a bit for the water volume, I'll probably do a dunk sparge mash out with this one.

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.02 gal

Your boil off really that low? With all those hops you will lose almost a gallon with break and hops.

I am in a dry climate and use a converted keg. The figure I use in my program is 1.16 gallons an hour for boil off.

So I would think you will need to start with something closer to 7 gallons or more for a 90 minute boil and plan on ending up with 5.5 to account for kettle lose. It all depends on what software you are using, as some are more correct then others in how they figure water. I do know that if you plan on getting 5 gallons from the kettle you will not be drinking 5 gallons of beer. You will lose some to the yeast in the fermentor.

As I said, I haven't done anything with my water volumes yet. I know this is pushing the limits of my equipment so I will probably need to move some of the water to a mash out. For 5 gallons and a 90 minute boil, I'll be shooting for 7.5 gallons preboil. I just haven't futzed with my proposed mash with Beersmith yet.

As I said, I haven't done anything with my water volumes yet. I know this is pushing the limits of my equipment so I will probably need to move some of the water to a mash out. For 5 gallons and a 90 minute boil, I'll be shooting for 7.5 gallons preboil. I just haven't futzed with my proposed mash with Beersmith yet.

Dont forget your efficiency either. You have it set to 75%. I doubt you will get 75% at that gravity. Better to have more grain and higher then expected gravity then low gravity and have to boil it down before hopping. As a bit of insurance you may want to have some dry extract on hand. Not sure but I think you can source maris otter or something close in the USA.

Thanks, I have to look what I got for efficiency on my collaborative brewing session, I aimed low and ended up hitting high. Still interested in percentages and ingredients now. These things are all small details you work out after you get the big details.

Ahhh, I see the confusion. I don't use Beersmith to complete my recipes usually. I do hand calculations and spreadsheets. I use the software for the base recipe then I adjust volumes by hand and re-input for IBU calculations. When I get my ingredient percentages set, I take a stab at efficiency and readjust the quantities. I don't use the mash calculators in Beersmith so my default is bogus. I meant to delete that part of the text file.

Some of my labels:

warehamcream.jpg
souramerican.jpg
hayesandzembiec.jpg
5-22Ale2.jpg

LOSTBOYIPA.jpg
SumfhausBruan.jpg
glencharliegrapefruit.jpg
BigMouthIPA.jpg

Latest posts

Back