Xxxx Summer Bright Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to the Goldy and while I was there we ploished of a couple or three cases of the new(ish) XXXX Summer Bright Lager.

I found it to be a rather easy drinking beer, especially on those 35C plus days that we had while we were in town.

Just wondering what others thought of it (as far as mega-swill goes), and also if anyone has spotted it further south in NSW anywhere?

I had high hopes for this beer when released but unfortunately it doesn't turn my wheels. It was, to me, a nothing beer with little to offer in hops aroma and flavour. I would grab a XXXX bitter before grabbing a Summer Ale. Whilst it is a beer I don't enjoy I can however understand that it would be very welcome on a hot and humid 35C day.

................ I can however understand that it would be very welcome on a hot and humid 35C day.

Yeah so would an ice cold Pasito. I have had a few offered to me, and it would be the most innocuous beer i have ever had. A lot of my workmates rave about it, but I think I would rather have something else. I am glad you enjoyed it, but I dont expect it last too long. For an easy drinking beer, I usually grab Hahn Super Dry.

cheers
Paul

Just imagine a version with a touch of Saaz or Hersbrucker in the finish - or shock horror some Aussie hops such as Galaxy and it would have had a bit of character. As it is, it's really just Base Malt, probably 40 percent cane sugar and the slightest touch of isohop. Shame on you XXXX.

Yeah I can't stand this beer. If I'm gunna drink a low carb megaswill on a hot day Hahn Super Dry is the best I've tried.

I rather have a XXXX Gold, and that's not all that bad on a hot day.

Batz

You're all fussy buggers, I've polished a few cases off over the summer.

Well in my defence I had two 19-yr old boys that don't appreciate even Coopers Pale or a Squires Golden or Amber, so this was the compromise.

My apologies for offending everyones taste buds :D

xxxx remains the best of the megaswill options.
Maybe its because I only drink it tapped while in the heat of northern Qld.

I had the summer lager at one of the worlds two weeks ago and thought it was tolerable, but xxxx bitter was.. ahem.. better.:)

xxxx bitter actually is made with Cluster hop flowers in the boil and isn't a bad drop compared to Fosters offerings. Pity they discontinued XXXX Original Draught, which had heaps of malt character as well.

After moving to AG mid last year im really starting to dislike them all. The only two im keen on is CPA and LC bright Ale.

Super Dry has no flavour at all. None of them do. Its like drinking piss.

After moving to AG mid last year im really starting to dislike them all. The only two im keen on is CPA and LC bright Ale.

Super Dry has no flavour at all. None of them do. Its like drinking piss.

I havent tried piss now I dont have 2 :D

If it's brown and fizzy I'll drink it; but I had a Carlton Cold last night after drinking a Galaxy PA and the first thing that struck me was that nearly all Australian megaswill essentially tastes exactly the same. All the CUB beers could have their bottling shuffled and I'm not sure anyone would notice. I sure wouldn't.

XXXX is a little different. I'm not sure Toohey's New actually has a flavour.

Latest posts

Back