Xxxx Gold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayzi

Reaction score
After 4 longnecks I thought I was ready to to take on the BBQ left overs in my fridge, consisting of around 8 XXXX Gold, 3 Cascade light and a six pack of Tooheys New, not that I was considering taking on all of it but was hoping to downsize. Well I finished of my last cold homebrew around the 15 minute mark of the Wallabies game and cracked a XXXX Gold. Now I had forgotten how much this stuff tastes like cold piss. I think someone has dropped a turd in their kettle. It took me two packets of chips to be able to disguise the taste enough to finish it off. Now I'm just waiting for the second half and the next lot of homebrew to get cold - about to finish off the last of brew number 6 tonight. Though plenty of 7 and 8 left.

On a final note does anyone want 7 XXXX Gold, 3 Cascade light and a six pack of Tooheys New? I'm having trouble believing that this is the liquid amber that I used to love and swear by. What happened to it?

Apologies, this is a bit disjointed but what do you expect at midnight on a Saturday?

Hey Mayzi, you wont believe it, I like XXXX Gold very much :)

did you have a look at the expiring date? maybe its over the time already?
or has it exposed to the sunlight for a certain time?

Try it again...with a fresh one :lol:

other hand, its a good reason to force bigger batches in homebrew :p

Cheers mate :party:

I don't mind XXXX Gold either. But I won't drive to Tullibgeal to pick it up!
Actually a similar situation occurred for me last night with Boags Light. It was thin, frothy and tasted like soapy water.

I visited some friends in QLD a couple of years back and bought some beer on the way.
Not knowing what to drink, I thought, "When in Rome" and proceeded to look for the XXXX.

"Hmmm, XXXX Gold, must be their premium stuff. Cheap too, must be less State Tax on it." I thought.

I felt a bit ripped when I found out it was mid strength!
Don't remember what it tasted like so it can't have been too memorable.

Its not too bad, the boys at Milton Rd chucked in some extra malt to cover up the missing alcohol.

Gold is okay for a midstrength megalager, but it is always on hiding to nothing coming after good beer.

I find it is OK if I drink it off the tap after a days work to wash the dust out but, out of the can it tastes like crap.
Out of the can it appears to me to have a metalic taste which disguises the malt and less hop (read almost none) than the draft sample.
I would never buy it in cans or bottles. :(
Just another example of our own megalitre breweries.
Brew for quantity and profit and not quality.

:beer:

I had a Tooheys new the other day at a pub ( the bastrds didnt even have Old on tap or in bottles )

And, well, it was a very hard beer to got thru, father in law had finished 2 beers by the time i even looked like finishing mine

Still wasnt as bad as VB

After 4 longnecks I thought I was ready to to take on the BBQ left overs in my fridge, consisting of around 8 XXXX Gold, 3 Cascade light and a six pack of Tooheys New, not that I was considering taking on all of it but was hoping to downsize. Well I finished of my last cold homebrew around the 15 minute mark of the Wallabies game and cracked a XXXX Gold. Now I had forgotten how much this stuff tastes like cold piss. I think someone has dropped a turd in their kettle. It took me two packets of chips to be able to disguise the taste enough to finish it off. Now I'm just waiting for the second half and the next lot of homebrew to get cold - about to finish off the last of brew number 6 tonight. Though plenty of 7 and 8 left.

On a final note does anyone want 7 XXXX Gold, 3 Cascade light and a six pack of Tooheys New? I'm having trouble believing that this is the liquid amber that I used to love and swear by. What happened to it?

Apologies, this is a bit disjointed but what do you expect at midnight on a Saturday?

Thats why you should drink xxxx Bitter. much better!!

I still drink it all :D. I've been homebrewing for under a year, when does this hatrid for all things mega-swill sink in? :p

Although I did want cheap beer the other night whilst my Wheat beer bottle conditioned, went to the local bottlo and ask for a carton of new, $38 they said, I asked how much for Coopers Pale Ale they said $42.

Best four bucks I ever spent.

Gold's Ok as a Lawnmower Beer. Otherwise pretty bland.

Jimmy

I drank a can of XXXX Gold on my walk home from the liquor store tonight. Nothing like an iced cold can in hand, on a chilly 10C melbourne nite with wind and rain blowing in the face... dark, back alley route home. Don't mind the stuff at all. Finished the first and thought, damn I could do 5 more of these, comfortably, in the next 14 minutes.

I've found that when I have even a sip of homebrew, and who stops at a sip, and then have a megaswill, it tastes like slightly chilled female african elephants piss. I had a few homebrews one night and not wanting to waste them all in one go, switched to a newly purchased carton of New. I just got through three bottles when I couldn't do it anymore and actually took the carton back the next day thinking it was off. It was only when i did it again did I realise it was the mixture of the two that was bad and not the commercial beer, so now I either drink one or the other, not both

4 eggs Gold is my guaranteed HEADACHE beer!

...it took me too many hangovers to realise it wasn't just the quantity I was drinking, but the foul mixture of chemicals I reckon they must treat the beer with to "lager" it so quickly!

I made the switch back to XXXX Heavy (Bitter) ...which is my megaswill of choice ...and have rarely had the same level of crookness.

It's a shame really, because it is THE beer of choice up my way. Which means, unfortunately, its the freebie beverage at just about every corporate event, wedding, party etc.

Back