Xxxx Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll rather have a XXXX Draught any day compared to the crap 'refreshing' beers that all the brewery's have just put on the shelves of late...Coopers included ! Tasteless sweet girlie rubbish.

Batz

As late as the 1980s there were quite a few pubs in Brisbane with draught on cask but now it's relegated to the Breakfast Creek Hotel AFAIK.

I was up in Townsville some 3 years ago and on Friday nights at one pub ... I think it was called the Great Northern or something like that ... they would carry out one barrel of XXXX draft, mount it up on the bar and spike it. The trick was to get a possy on the bar close to the keg and drink as fast as you could 'cos when it was gone it was back to the soapy tap beer until next week!

I don't know if it was ther beer ... or the atmosphere ... but it was a great beer. Of couse that was before I got into HB ...

I enjoyed a couple 'off the wood' a couple of weeks ago at the Brekky Creek on the way through to Mount Isa... I must say I reckon it's leaps and bounds ahead of the draught they serve.. I'm pretty sure I remember reading the blurb on the wall saying something about how they are the only remaining pub that the casks are produced for

i think i would prefer to shoot my di*k off than drink XXXX... :p

Lets be honest now - I think that might be taking it a bit far.

So what im gathering from this thread is that XXXX used to make a decent beer thats never been available south of the boarder and this is why we all reffer to it (XXXX) as pineapple juice?

im a closet XXXX drinker...my mate loves the shit and i always get a 6-er when i go round to see him...he loves the stuff, and the 1.0 std drink is great for the motorists.

I'll rather have a XXXX Draught any day compared to the crap 'refreshing' beers that all the brewery's have just put on the shelves of late...Coopers included ! Tasteless sweet girlie rubbish.

Batz

Thems fightn words Batz

Do some side by side testings of these commercial beers, some do standout better than others but they are mainly bland and boring these days. But jee they go down at 1degree well after cutting the grass in 30degree heat.

oh yeah I would sign your petition.

Batz

Thems fightn words Batz

I think Batz may have been referring to the coopers 62. At least he had better been :beerbang:

I think Batz may have been referring to the coopers 62. At least he had better been :beerbang:

Of course I was, I did state the new 'refreshing' beers the brewerys have just brought out. Almost all the mega swill brewerys have one released for summer. They all refer the the brew as refreshing as well, it means it has not got one iota of taste and you can chuck a couple back easly..if you don't like the taste of beer that is.

I was given a Cascade I think to try the other day, it tasted like lemon lime and bitters ! A beer mind you :eek:

There's heaps on the shelves, summer ale or some other pig swill.

Mr Coopers deserves a good thrashing with a wet hop flower!

Batz

I have never tried it but would sign so that i could. I will try any beer once. I collect the bottles as well and have about 400 different ones. I live in a small country town and if i want to drink out i cannot afford to be too much of a beer snob. I drink Toohey's Old when out as it is the only consistant tap beer between the pubs and clubs. Other that that it is VB, XXXX Bitter or the mid-strength swill known as XXXX Gold, which Queenslanders love and seem to get pissed on just as quick as me when i am drinking Old. I would give my left testie for a boutique beer cafe or the like!

Would put the scribble down to save a Queensland legend. Golden cluster all the way.

I would sign as well. I would be more inclined to sign a petition for castlemaine to supply cask beer to more pubs.

Brad

Gotta agree that the XXXX sold in SE QLD (at least in the mid-nineties) was quite different to whatever it was they were shipping to NSW. It wasn't too bad at all and was heaps better on a hot afternoon.

I was visiting around Eumundi for a week or two with some friends. Walked into the bottle-o and grabbed a six pack of Crown (I didn't know any better back then). The bloke behind the counter looked at me as if I was wearing a frilly pink dress and said "You're not from around here, are ya?" shaking his head as he took my money. My friends told me, when I got back to their house that "Proper men around here don't drink that... It's XXXX or Bundy only." Oops!

Cheers - Fermented.

Batz

Thems fightn words Batz
I'll fight along side ya, Batz!

For mine, XXXX heavy is a nice drop at the right time of day in the right circumstances. It has a good malt backbone and a refreshing hop character that I agree isn't everyone's cup of tea. The closer to Brisbane the better. I worked in Weipa back in the early '90s and remember reading that they used to put arsenic in the XXXX that they shipped north, as a preservative. It might have been dehydration, but I far worse hangovers on the stuff up there than I ever did drinking XXXX in Brissy.

I've only had XXXX Draught off the wood at the Brekkie Ck and really enjoyed it. I would sign a petition to bring back the original recipe in bottles.

Cheers - Snow.

long time xxxx bitter drinker,,, still knock back a few now and again (fishing)... the draught was good too ,,,I'd sign as well , but I must say that I hadn't noticed it was gone ...
cheers

With the new stuff running at around $40 plus locally for a carton, you can be sure of one thing.

It might be expensive.........................but by god, it's rough :lol:

And another thing to consider is that when XXXX Draught was dropped it was still owned by Castlemaine-Perkins (I'm pretty sure but can be corrected here?).
You can bet your bottom dollar that if resurrected Lion-Nathan will muck around with\stuff up the recipe just as they have done with many other nice beers they have obtained the license for.
FWIW I have just come back from 5 days of drinking XXXX Gold with philistine mates & count my luck stars I'm still left with any taste buds at all. :icon_vomit:
As mentioned earlier XXXX of the wood at the Breakie Creek is a different XXXX altogether.

TP

Basically you type in the first verse of the tune and the first one to guess it right will be told by the person whom typed the line.

Then that person type the first line of another tune and so on and so forth.

Ill start:

Basically you type in the first verse of the tune and the first one to guess it right will be told by the person whom typed the line.

Then that person type the first line of another tune and so on and so forth.

Ill start:

A good reason NOT to post at 5 oclock in the morning

Latest posts

Back