Xxxx Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXX

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in petitioning Lion Nathan to bring back XXXX Draught in bottles?

Is anyone interested in petitioning Lion Nathan to bring back XXXX Draught in bottles?
No, sorry..... :)

I brew my own beer so have no need for XXXX Draught Stubbies.... ;) Good luck with it.... :unsure:

CB

and the purpose of that would be for???????

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

Not going to happen. Save your energy and just have a Bitter instead. ;)

It would have to be better than Summer Bright Ale....wanna be Corona rubbish......I haven't tried it though on principle.....go to love mass marketing

For the info of interstaters, XXXX draught was only sold in Queensland and was sorta the equivalent of Reschs Dinner Ale in its own way, a fairly old fashioned 4.5% beer which was darker, sweeter and lower carbonated than XXXX 'heavy'. I enjoyed it as a winter brew. It was smooth, could stand being drunk a bit warmer without tasting like garbage. It was introduced in the 1950s and I guess the recipe hadn't changed much if at all.

xxxx_draught.jpg

I'll sign for sure, it's sad the way that Lion are trying to kill off local brews and replace everything with god awful Tooheys.

For the info of interstaters, XXXX draught was only sold in Queensland and was sorta the equivalent of Reschs Dinner Ale in its own way, a fairly old fashioned 4.5% beer which was darker, sweeter and lower carbonated than XXXX 'heavy'. I enjoyed it as a winter brew. It was smooth, could stand being drunk a bit warmer without tasting like garbage. It was introduced in the 1950s and I guess the recipe hadn't changed much if at all.

View attachment 32194

I'll sign for sure, it's sad the way that Lion are trying to kill off local brews and replace everything with god awful Tooheys.
Thanks for the info, Bribie, from an unlearned Mexican.

Resches DA. Haven't had one of them in years.

Also..They no longer have XXX Sparkling or Carbine at the XXXX alehouse now :( so sad

Where can I sign. I reckon they stopped making it when I moved to Victoria. Sales must have plummeted. ;)
I can remember my grandad drinking this out of tallies like water. Maybe they could do a limited realease similar to what Fosters do with Richmond Lager and the like. Don't like the chances though.

With the new stuff running at around $40 plus locally for a carton, you can be sure of one thing.

It might be expensive.........................but by god, it's rough :lol:

i cant beleive no one had told this donkey that draught means its on tap. draught is not a beer style.
usually the 'draught' thing is the first thing people have a go at.

so in regards to the OT. no thanks, not interested. the only xxx's i like are above a strip joint!

The reason for the "Draught" is that Castlemaine Perkins have long had a cooperage department and deliver beer in wooden casks (although not cask conditioned because it's a lager) to this day, and the picture of the cask on the label refers presumably to the brew that was originally delivered thus. As late as the 1980s there were quite a few pubs in Brisbane with draught on cask but now it's relegated to the Breakfast Creek Hotel AFAIK. Nice smooth drop there as well, served on gravity, but I suspect it's just filtered XXXX heavy in the barrel nowadays.

XXXX itself is a bit of a hold out in many ways, for example it is made with whole cluster hop flowers in the boil as opposed to a quick squirt of isohop on the way to the packing line. Sadly the heavy version is being gradually wound back to Southern Queensland (couldn't find any in Cairns) and being replaced elsewhere by Tooheys New. XXXX Gold is a pale shadow and unfortunately is being touted as the main product nowadays, it's no wonder the XXXX name has a bad name south of the Border.

i think i would prefer to shoot my di*k off than drink XXXX... :p

Back