Wyeast1084 Fermentation Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I've got a 3 litre starter of Irish Ale yeast going hammer and tongs at the moment and planning on pitching it into an Irish Red.
I'm wondering what others experience are with fermentation temperatures using this one.
Jamil and Palmer recommend 19 degrees but I did notice when my 1 litre starter was fermenting at 22 degrees there was a rather pleasant fruity aroma coming off. I'm doing my 3 litre at 19 degrees to match what I was going to do with the brew but now I'm beginning to have second thoughts.
Has anyone fermented this one at at, above or around 20 degrees and what results did you get?
Cheers.

I've used this yeast several times but always trying to maintain temp around 19-20. I've used in IRA, Porter and stout and always with good results.

I guess a split batch is the best way to tell if you have a second fermenter.

Unfortunately I haven't got another free vessel and if I did I wouldn't be able to control the fermentation temperature without the room in my fermentation fridge.
How vigorous a ferment do you get at around 20 degrees with this yeast? Am I likely to need a blowoff tube with a 25 litre batch in a 30 litre fermenter?

How vigorous a ferment do you get at around 20 degrees with this yeast? Am I likely to need a blowoff tube with a 25 litre batch in a 30 litre fermenter?

I seriously doubt it, in all the times I have used this yeast it almost looks like a lager fermentation.....very tame.

Cheers,
BB

Unfortunately I haven't got another free vessel and if I did I wouldn't be able to control the fermentation temperature without the room in my fermentation fridge.

I'd say no. While there's been healthy krausen each time, it's not been excessive - nothing to xompare to 3787,3068 or 1007 if you've ever used any of those.

Back