Wyeast Lambic Blend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
I have a bag of Wyeast Lambic Blend which I've had for a couple of years now and never got around to using it. Its always been in the fridge. Unlike regular brewing yeast its rumoured that these are pretty tough bugs. Would this bag of stuff still be alright for another year as my hops aren't old enough to do one of these brews yet.....unless....... anyone got a 100gms or so of old hop flowers? :p

I'd hazard a guess they'll still be alive in there. After all, many brewers have brought back to life yeast that's older than that.

In terms of the hops, Wild Brews suggests that in a pinch you can force age them in the oven at 90C or so for a few hours, until they turn brown. Might be better than waiting a couple of years. ;)

You may find that the original percentages of bacteria in the blend have changed quite significantly, but it wouldn't stop me from using it. I know Asher and ausdb pitched old packs of Roselare which took off well.

Thanks guys ,also I've read varying reprts about using a plastic fermenter, air permeability and all that..should I go glass?

I made a lambic beer back at the end of 2006 and it was in secondary for a few months. when I tried the final beer 4 months ago there were no signs of oxidation in it at all so you should be fine

I used plastic for the Roeselare you tasted and it seemed to work well. No signs of oxidation and if anything not enough sourness. No idea how it'd work for a lambic though.

You could always go steel of course. :rolleyes:

Problem is the old conical would be out of action for too long, as it is I can't wait to get the cal common out of there

I'm using glass for my pLambics, plastic for Flanders Red.

Main reasons for that is I'm making less pLambic and keeping it for longer. That means I've got less for blending, so if a batch is overly acidified I'm a bit stuck.

I'm producing a lot more FR, so I can blend around if a batch gets overly acidic from too much oxygen exposure.

As kook said I used an old pack of Roeslare in a Flanders red, it is still sitting in the old plastic pail fermenter that I promaried it in. I tasted some a while back and thought it was tasting great, I must get round to bottling it some time soon.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&pid=325052

I think Randrob or Chillamacgilla has used an old Lambic blend that fired up ok.

I had my FR in plastic for a bit over a year. Certainly not too sour but it does have some oxidised sherry like notes.

Are you guys using recultured dregs from another beer or a purchased culture from wyeast/whitelabs?

I used the Roeselare yeast from Wyeast, Justin. It was a seasonal I got last year. It was also released this year so there should be some packs still knocking around. There's also a lambic blend which I think is what Mike is using. White Labs have one of those as well IIRC.

Are you guys using recultured dregs from another beer or a purchased culture from wyeast/whitelabs?

For my Flanders Red, just Roselare blend.

My lambics both have WYeast lambic blend, as well as Boon and Cantillon dregs.

I used the Wyeast 5112 for mine, turned out very nicely

My lambics both have WYeast lambic blend, as well as Boon and Cantillon dregs.
Did you use this as the primary ferment? Or start with something else?
There's probably the answer to this in that plambic thread somewhere I supposed but this thread popped up and I got lazy :)

I have a new pack of this sitting in my fridge so this is another of those great timely threads...

I'm moving into funky belgian territory very soon. I plan the fermenter(s) / hose / fittings / separation type approach just for paranoia...
I've got a keg I plan to use for bug type beers too. I picked one up very cheap at a flea market...

I'm using 2 old Wyeast Lambic blends for my pLambic at the moment, fermenting in oak. I was a bit freaked out when I saw no signs of activity after a week, so I pitched the 2nd pack. They were both just out of the 6 month manufacture date, but It's better to be safe, right?

TIM

I just looked at the pack on the weekend "nov 04" oops :eek:
I'm going to chuck it in with some bottle dregs anyway

JT.
Which yeast was used in your Porter?

tdh

Latest posts

Back