Wyeast Euro Ale 1338

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey gang.
I used this yeast in a brown ale 10 days ago, been sitting at 18 deg. OG was 1.045
Checked gravity then and was surprised to see 1.022 :huh: !
Is it a slow yeast in general or has the bugger stopped on me?
I have given the carboy a few gentle swirls just then, but i suppose i could bring it out in ambient temp to see if that helps?
Anyone else had this happen using this yeast? Mind you, it does still have a good solid inch of krausen (rocky head) on top.
Cheers

I gather you got the reading from the tap, sometimes i run a bit of beer through it before i take the sample(first bit for me is hop/yeast/crud). maybe try a second sample and see if they match.

with a good creamy krausen sounds like its still going, seems like a slow ferment tho

I gather you got the reading from the tap, sometimes i run a bit of beer through it before i take the sample(first bit for me is hop/yeast/crud). maybe try a second sample and see if they match.

with a good creamy krausen sounds like its still going, seems like a slow ferment tho

Yeah mate, i always clear the tap first. Will bring up the temp a bit.

1338 is very slow. I made a Biere de garde with it earlier in the year which seemed to take forever to ferment out. It will get there, eventually - and it's quite a nice yeast should be good in a brown.

cheers

grant

I have used this yeast quite a bit and have always let it ferment for at least two weeks (longer if at lower temp). It takes ages to ferment and drop and always leaves the beer quite dry (and tasty).

Takes ages to clear, too.

Hey gang.
I used this yeast in a brown ale 10 days ago, been sitting at 18 deg. OG was 1.045
Checked gravity then and was surprised to see 1.022 :huh: !
Is it a slow yeast in general or has the bugger stopped on me?
I have given the carboy a few gentle swirls just then, but i suppose i could bring it out in ambient temp to see if that helps?
Anyone else had this happen using this yeast? Mind you, it does still have a good solid inch of krausen (rocky head) on top.
Cheers
hey j1gsaw, what did it end up fermenting out to and how long did it take?
i have an alt bier that has been fermenting with 1338 at 18C for 9 days now and is only at 1024.

hey j1gsaw, what did it end up fermenting out to and how long did it take?
i have an alt bier that has been fermenting with 1338 at 18C for 9 days now and is only at 1024.

Hey STU,
My OG for the brown ale was 1045 and it finished at 1010.
Brewed 12/12/09
Bottled 5/1/10
Ferm 18/20deg, Last week was at ambient temp (24-28deg)

Hey STU,
My OG for the brown ale was 1045 and it finished at 1010.
Brewed 12/12/09
Bottled 5/1/10
Ferm 18/20deg, Last week was at ambient temp (24-28deg)

i should use my hydrometer,

i used a 3 litre starter (yeast was a few months old) into 20 litres of 1.048 brown ale, fermented with WY1338

been at ambient temps the whole time at around 22 degrees, after a week shook fermenter, bottled at 14 days

now been in the bottle for 7 days and is already overcarbed,

obviously hadnt finished, so will put them all in the fridge now

tastes beautiful by the way, a real nice rich fruitcake flavour, rum and raisin

Latest posts

Back