Wyeast 3638 And H2s

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerben

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post, but I've been learning off you guys for quite a while!

On Thursday I pitched a Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat into 2 batches (both all grain), a 25L Hefeweizen and 25L Dunkleweizen, I'd made a 5L starter culture (with some light DME) to get the yeast ready because the yeast was 6 months old and also I wanted to innoculate 50L instead of the recommended 25L.

The culture started to get a bit of a rotten egg (hydrogen sulphide) smell just prior to pitching, and having brewed a few lagers that ended up OK I wasn't too concerned. So far all smells really good from the ferments, but I just wanted to find out if anyone else had experience with Wyeast 3638 and if they had any H2S??? I've never experienced it with an ale yeast before.

Thanks,

Ben

It can be a sign that the yeast is a bit stressed and unhealthy, might just be because you had an old pack. Sounds like the ferments are ok though.

It can be a sign that the yeast is a bit stressed and unhealthy, might just be because you had an old pack. Sounds like the ferments are ok though.

Yeah, you're probably right and I did notice a slight hint of it when i smelt the inside of the smack pack after pitching it into the culture

It could simply be the starter culture ran out of FAN - Nitrogen and had to break down some other sources to get the nitrogen and produced volatile sulphur compounds, once added to the wort there would be a new source of FAN and the yeast will be happy again. As far as I know, most malt base fermentations rarely need nitrogen supplements. Kai do your LC experiences support this?

Aye, though some people might add it to starter worts.

Back