Wyeast 3068

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just about to pitch some Wyeast 3068 and am wondering about the "30 rule", e.g pitching at 12C and fermenting at 18C. Just wanting confirmation from anyone who has done this successfully, given that the Wyeast website says that 3068 ferments at 18C-24C - I'm worried that it may not start if it is too cold. I have made a 1L starter which is sitting at around 20C.

Thanks! :)

Ben

Yeah it does work, Cool the starter in the fridge down to 12degc as well as the wort then pitch at 12degc then set the temp on your fridge controller if you have one to run ferment at 18deg and let the batch come up to this temp on it's own. Make sure you aerate well though. Cooling the starter as well helps against thermal shock.

Yep, i always pitch this at 12 and set the fridge with probe in fermenter to 18. I dont overly oxygenate and only pitch 1/2 the amount of yeast i do for most similar gravity ales to get the yeast doing its thing.

Great - thanks guys, I'll wait a bit longer to pitch then!

Latest posts

Back