Wyeast 2001 Pilsener Urquell Strain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looked into my FV and saw this dog poo looking stuff floating on the top.
first time ive used this yeast, should it look like this?
is day 2 and airlock just started popping this morning.
wort.jpg

View attachment 56640

it does look like dog poo !

might be some of the break material lifting from the bottom.

i cant see any krausen, which i would have expected with a healthy pitch after 2 days

I'm pretty sure that thing has tied itself in a knot.

Personally - I'd be sleeping with one eye open. That thing looks self-aware.

Day 2 there should at least be some whispy foam on top by now. Day 2 it should be going nuts. I would rouse, gently, and if there was no action pitch another/more ACTIVE yeast. 2001 is a great yeast for any pale Lagers.

View attachment 56640

I use this yeast with most of my pilsners and have never seen a thing like that. It looks a bit scary to be honest, did you clean your tap after your last brew? Perhaps it grew up and crawled out of there?

batz

Doug, it's just break material... Relax mate :)

cheers Ross

Edit: there again someone might have taken a dump in your fermenter after a big night out.... is it coming back to you LOL

Looks like break. In a light colored clearish wort it is more obvious. Looks like whirlfloc/brewbrite/koppafloc made it into the fermenter with it and is still doing its job of holding it together

If it hasn't started foaming/krausen on the surface yet you might have an issue

Bum may have sent you a pm

PMSL......... Gold!

If you pitched cold the yeast will take a coup;le days to crank up which is normal.

If after 3 days its still dead flat...... you have a problem

That poop looks like break to me but what an awsome formation...... love it.

cheers

:icon_offtopic:

It is a great lager yeast when it is not doing the Chris Angel Straight Jacket trick.

Possibly, the best!

That is all.

Carry on.

Doug, it's just break material... Relax mate :)
As I said I've used it heaps and never had a break like that greet me.

Here's an instructional video that may help identification of the turd shaped conundrum:

Last edited by a moderator:
:icon_offtopic:

It is a great lager yeast when it is not doing the Chris Angel Straight Jacket trick.

Possibly, the best!

That is all.

Carry on.

Gotta agree with Cocko on this one. F'n awesome yeast. If you can be patient, i recommend fermenting at 8 or 9 degrees, It will come out cleaner than filtered angels piss.

Cheers!

4 weeks. Sorted!

atleast another 2 weeks. Urquell at that temp gets sleepier than grandpa after a couple of funny cigarettes.

I usually leave my fridge for 5 weeks and check for steady gravity readings in the 6th week when i brew with urquell and add a week or 2 for lagering / cc'ing / fining/polyclar.

Hey all,

I have severely under-pitched 1 x Wyeast Urquell pack (two months old) into a JSGL(A) - 1 pack for 23l of 1048 of wort, pitched at 16-degrees, wort oxygentated with pure O2 for 1 min, currently controlled fermentation at 12-degrees... pitched yesterday morning (1.5 days ago).

No visible krausen.

Should I be concerned?

BTW: yes, I am aware of the under pitching... it was a case of having 2 x cubes, not sure which was the ale and which was the lager and didn't want to go to the length of making up starters for both and wasting one yeast... I'm probably going to have to lager the hell out of this beer to get rid of any nasties.... just not sure if I should be seeing anything right now?

Back