Wyeast 2001 Pilsener Urquell Strain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judanero said:
Taken a gravity reading? Any movement?
It's around 1048 @ 12-degrees - which means 1047... so it might be underway... too close to call for sure.

I'd take another reading in a couple days if there's no visible krausen and see if there's any movement, did you make a starter or just empty smack pack straight into the wort?

It may just need a day or two to get cranking.

I used the Urquell on a recent batch, was real slow...though I did start the ferment at 4c and slowly increased.

2001 is one of my favourite lager strains.
I don't have any excessive lag times but I do use O2 injection prior to pitching and always make a starter

I hope yours kicks in soon.

Cheers

dicko said:
2001 is one of my favourite lager strains.
I don't have any excessive lag times but I do use O2 injection prior to pitching and always make a starter

I hope yours kicks in soon.

Cheers
Thanks Dicko.

I did use O2, but didn't make a starter (as I normally would), due to the issues I was faced with in the initial post.

Spiesy said:
I've given it a swirl and raised to 14... c'mon yeast - get to work!
I would raise it to 19 or 20 to start it and then drop it to lager temps. If the yeast is in the growth phase it will speed things up a bit.

I have never noticed any sulphor with that yeast and for that matter no real off tastes at all.
I guess that is why it is one of my favourites is that it is so forgiving... :ph34r: :)

Quick one... being a bottom fermenting yeast (with a caveat that I have only brewed one lager before), would there normally be much of a krausen?

From my observations you may generally see a small krausen on top of the wort as the yeast numbers build and fermentation starts.
This will vary with the different lager yeast strains but generally will be a lot less top activity than an ale yeast.
Again, from my observations the dry yeast 34/70 pitched in the correct cell numbers can form a reasonable krausen for a lager yeast.
Lager yeasts that are underpitched show little krausen and, as well, the krausen is difficult to see in a standard white plastic fermenter.

Has it kicked off yet?? :)

Here is a pic of the Krausen from a Munich Helles with 2001 I did 8 days ago. It is on its rest at the moment.

9ffcd0d5-8f1e-416c-99e2-0f1af7df8712_zpsd9716bf0.jpg

Edit. Moved file in Photobucket and it deleted pic from post

No movement in the last 24-hours.

This is really starting to piss me off.

Guess I'm going to have to try and source some more yeast quickly.

Run up the white labs California Lager yeast I left in your fridge?

Not sure what the combo move will do, just a thought. Anyone know if these would be similar strains? compatible?

Mate, that yeast is so old (BB May 2012)... it would only add to the problem. Thanks for the thought though.

I need a surefire hit. Or it's going down the drain.

I'll try to grab some lager yeast tomorrow.

Now go and smack yourself while saying:

"I'll always make a starter for a cold-ptched larger".

Or- "Two packs of 34-70 will be plenty".

They rhyme!

jyo said:
Now go and smack yourself while saying:

"I'll always make a starter for a cold-ptched larger".
I would, but that doesn't make sense.

BTW: the circumstances either prevented me from making a starter, or making one, and wasting one of my yeasts.... lesson learnt, always label the cube.

Latest posts

Back