Wyeast 1469

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys

After some advice on using this yeast in a hoppy style APA...

Has anyone done this? What will it be like? Ive got about 6 bottles with some 1469 in it and want to get using it, as opposed to US-05...

Thinking something like this...

3kg Pale Ale
1kg Wheat
60 : 10g Galaxy
20 : 15g Galaxy
10 : 15g Galaxy
FO : 10g Galaxy

Would it give me like an American IPA or something?

Feedback appreciated :icon_cheers:

Other than Belgian or wheat beer strains, you can use pretty much any yeast in a hoppy beer as the hops will tend to hide the yeast character (esters, phenols, etc). That's why 1056 (US-05) is so popular in the hoppy American styles: it doesn't have much character anyway, so it's not a 'shame' to hide them with hops.

I think that 1469 could provide a nice background which would add to the overall depth of flavour in a hoppy brew. By all means, try it! :super:

I have used this before...

Will be interesting but I think it should work well.
Here is the blurb from the website...

Wyeast 1469 PC West Yorkshire Ale
This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Attenuation 67-71%
Alc. Tolerance 9%
Flocculation high
Temperature Range 64-72F (18-22C)

That's why 1056 (US-05) is so popular in the hoppy American styles: it doesn't have much character anyway, so it's not a 'shame' to hide them with hops.

personally, I think it would be a shame to hide the character of this yeast behind hops......2c obviously, but my whippet is cringing in the corner at the very thought....

Hmmmm, stone fruit aye? Might work well with some Amarillo? Maybe in a Smurtos GA...

I know its not really the thing to do, its just I have a truck load of gen 1 1469, and only some gen 3 US-05...

I might just have to try it and see how it all works out... B)

Thinking of cutting the hop additions back to just 60,20 and FO? As to not mask the yeast as much...

Should be greaat, im doing 40 litre of all amarillo golden ale this week, half with 1007 half with 1469. Might dry hop the 1007 only

Hmmmm, stone fruit aye? Might work well with some Amarillo? Maybe in a Smurtos GA...

I know its not really the thing to do, its just I have a truck load of gen 1 1469, and only some gen 3 US-05...

I might just have to try it and see how it all works out... B)

Thinking of cutting the hop additions back to just 60,20 and FO? As to not mask the yeast as much...

How could i possibly criticise this idea? :rolleyes:

As long as you call it an english bitter and not an APA alls good.... :ph34r:

How could i possibly criticise this idea? :rolleyes:

As long as you call it an english bitter and not an APA alls good.... :ph34r:

Hahaha, fair enough then... Sounds good anyway cos I allways brew APA's :lol:

Smurto, have you tried 1469 with your GA?

Just reading the "Stonefruit" part, which is apparantly a character of the Amarillo hops... Might work well?

Popped one of these activator packs last Tuesday, fully swollen 24 hrs later. MFG date was Oct 08.

Brewed an English Bitter last Wednesday, OG 1041, mashed at 68C to retain some body.
Pitched most of the contents of the activator into 2 litres of the wort on Thursday and then pitched the starter into the remaining wort on Friday. Gravity now at 1014. So that is 27 points in around 5 days.

When I last brewed with this yeast from a sample sent by Kirem it took around 2 weeks to ferment to final gravity.
The sample was certainly older than 1 month by the time I had got around to using it.

What am I getting at?? Well fresh yeast is certainly better if you can time your brewing right. There would certainly have been more viable yeast cells in the fresh starter than the older one I used.

Here is the recipe for 21 L into fermenter.

Noah Spit Bitter

4kg Maris Otter
300g Bairds Medium Xtal (150EBC)
200g Bairds Torrified Wheat
20g Target (60min)
30g EKG (15min)
20g EKG (5min)
West Yorkshire Yeast (Wy#1469)

OG 1041
IBU 30

68C mash.

C&B
TDA

Popped one of these activator packs last Tuesday, fully swollen 24 hrs later. MFG date was Oct 08.

Brewed an English Bitter last Wednesday, OG 1041, mashed at 68C to retain some body.
Pitched most of the contents of the activator into 2 litres of the wort on Thursday and then pitched the starter into the remaining wort on Friday. Gravity now at 1014. So that is 27 points in around 5 days.

When I last brewed with this yeast from a sample sent by Kirem it took around 2 weeks to ferment to final gravity.
The sample was certainly older than 1 month by the time I had got around to using it.

What am I getting at?? Well fresh yeast is certainly better if you can time your brewing right. There would certainly have been more viable yeast cells in the fresh starter than the older one I used.

Here is the recipe for 21 L into fermenter.

Noah Spit Bitter

4kg Maris Otter
300g Bairds Medium Xtal (150EBC)
200g Bairds Torrified Wheat
20g Target (60min)
30g EKG (15min)
20g EKG (5min)
West Yorkshire Yeast (Wy#1469)

OG 1041
IBU 30

68C mash.

C&B
TDA

:icon_drool2: Looks nice and Yorky TDA... All you need is a stone square. :D

Warren -

Thanks for the tip re recultivating the yeast, I have six samples of this yeast in the fridge at the moment waiting for my AG upgrade and your brew sounds similar to what I intend to make for my cherry popper: I'll be going Target when I have crack at Brains SA but for now will go fuggly :)

Hardened up water a la Pennines:

5 kg Maris Otter
300g Medium Crystal

30g Fuggles 90 mins
20g EKG 20 mins
20g EKG 5 mins

And that yeast.

So I'll make sure I get a good starter going. According to what I have read about the stone square brewing system it takes at least 7 days before racking off whereas many UK yeasts are home and hosed after four or five days. When I used the original smack pack with a partial yorkie I noticed that the fermentation went far longer than the Nottingham that I am more familiar with, as well as a solid cauliflower head that went on for a week.

Cheers

God I love this yeast :icon_drool2:

I had quite a quick result with the above, I pitched my recipe onto a 1469 yeast cake, it fired up straight away, and in 5 days it was down from 1044 to 1010, it finished, but what I found funny, was there was still quite a big krausen which didnt drop down untill I put the fermenter in the fridge, so it probably takes a while for this yeast to drop out by itself...

Anyways, the beer tastes bloody fantastic! I kegged and force carbed yesterday morning, had a sneaky taste late last night and went back for a couple more! Nice fruityness from the galaxy hops on the nose, but still quite a chewy maltyness in the taste, followed by a subtle fruity finish... Really easy to drink :icon_drunk:

Smurto, cheers for the advice on dropping the hop additions down to 60,20,FO, it worked really well and the hops arent too much in your face...

God I love this yeast :icon_drool2:

I had quite a quick result with the above, I pitched my recipe onto a 1469 yeast cake, it fired up straight away, and in 5 days it was down from 1044 to 1010, it finished, but what I found funny, was there was still quite a big krausen which didnt drop down untill I put the fermenter in the fridge, so it probably takes a while for this yeast to drop out by itself...

Anyways, the beer tastes bloody fantastic! I kegged and force carbed yesterday morning, had a sneaky taste late last night and went back for a couple more! Nice fruityness from the galaxy hops on the nose, but still quite a chewy maltyness in the taste, followed by a subtle fruity finish... Really easy to drink :icon_drunk:

Smurto, cheers for the advice on dropping the hop additions down to 60,20,FO, it worked really well and the hops arent too much in your face...

The judges at ANAWBS seemed to like that reduced hop schedule :ph34r:

I made a beer with this yeast. Mashed @65 OG 1050. Pitched 1 day after smacking straight from the smack pack. 4 days later (5 if you include the day it was pitched) it was down to 1007.

Unfortunately the beer has a slight astringency. This is not from the yeast. It was a split batch and the first batch was fermented with an Alt yeast and had the same astringency. :(

At least I have got some on slants for the future

Kabooby :)

but what I found funny, was there was still quite a big krausen which didnt drop down untill I put the fermenter in the fridge, so it probably takes a while for this yeast to drop out by itself...

This one is a true top cropper....thats a solid little hat of yeasties floating on top. Skim the top, and it's clear underneath....apart from the top yeast, which continues to float, the yeast in suspension drops like a stone for the 1469.

And if you re pitch the top skimmed yeast....stand back, it might jump out of the fermenter and bite you. :lol: . My case swap beer was brewed with the top skimmed yeast...the bugger finished from 1036 in 3 days, gave me the shock of my life.....and then when I skimmed it, and crash chilled, that one, too, dropped bright really quick. I love this yeast...

1469_Krausen.jpg

Here is the krausen on my latest batch using this yeast.

Lovely little top fermenter this one :D

C&B
TDA

Oh dear Mr Humphries... Mind my pussy with that thing. :icon_drool2:

Warren -

1973_served_gal.jpg

Latest posts

Back