Wyeast 1318

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therook

Reaction score
Going to pitch this yeast for the first time tonight and am wandering what ferment temp people have found the best to be.

Rook

+1

This was one of the very first liquid yeasts I used when brewing with them. It works well in PA's and IPA's @ around 22c if you want something a tad fruitier but 18 is the ideal temp.

Great yeast. My favourite. I use it in all my American and British Ales. Make sure you have some head space in your fermenter too. When they say this is a true top cropping yeast they mean it.

Thanks Chaps,

I was curious as i normally brew ales at 18 with dry yeasts and the Wyeast site has 18 at the low end of the scale

Rook

I'd personally go a tad warmer - 19 to 20c. English yeasts shouldn't be fermented to cool IMHO.

Edit:....yes a true top cropper - The 1st time I used it I was worried my ferment would never finish, the resultant krausen below
surface_yeast_cake_from_1318_London_III.jpg

cheers ross

I'd go 20*C +/- 1*C.

Too cool is too dull.

It makes the ale taste like an ale!

tdh

Bear in mind Rook if its reading 18 degrees on the outside of your fermenter I'm sure its probably chugging away at 19-20 on the inside at high krausen anyway. Worth bearing in mind. ;)

Note unless your temp control or thermometer is in direct contact with your wort it could be relevant.

Warren -

i have a brew going at the moment at 14 deg using this yeast , bubbling away happily ...

Latest posts

Back