WY1272 American Ale Yeast II

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nala,

I started this thread 2 1/2 months ago and you come along with nothing but a trolls response to the OP (me) and from reading that.......obviously you know more about brewing with liquid wyeast 1272 than the rest of us and for that fact brewing in general.

We all appreciate your helpful post and make sure to keep and eye out for further input on the forum.

Cheers. :p

jeddog said:
I brewed a 60lt batch of American Pale Ale mashed a 67C for an hour
OG was 1.052, fermented with 1272 at 18.5C ( pitched with a 4lt starter )
Day 5 I upped the temp to 19C
Day 7 has completely stopped
FG 1.014 ?

As this is the first time using the 1272 yeast. Its got me buggered why the FG is so high..
Should I up the temp to get it to drop a few more points?

any thoughts?

jeddog
The FG is relative to your OG and the attenuation of the yeast used, amongst other things like wort fermentables. The attenuation of 1272 according to the manufacturer is 72-76%, so given your FG is within this range I'd suggest it doesn't have much more than a point or two to go.

Pratty1 said:
Hi Nala,

I started this thread 2 1/2 months ago and you come along with nothing but a trolls response to the OP (me) and from reading that.......obviously you know more about brewing with liquid wyeast 1272 than the rest of us and for that fact brewing in general.

We all appreciate your helpful post and make sure to keep and eye out for further input on the forum.

Cheers. :p
I don't see Nala's post as being terribly offensive. The data provided by you and the rated attenuation of the yeast provided by the manufacturer suggests that having a rated attenuation of 87%, as you've stated by way of your OG/FG figures, is so far beyond what the yeast is capable of that it suggests a problem with your equipment, calculations, recipe, process, or all of the above. This is what Nala is alluding to: if you have a yeast capable of doing that then you should offer it to a commercial brewer :)

Back