Hop Hero Ale (Chinook)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
I have been planning a beer for the new year that uses Chinook asI have about 450g vac sealed and screaming out for some usage. Its a high AA hop and usage can vary from brewer to brewer and Im doing a 30min boil :ph34r: with Chinook and heavy dry hopping again with Chinook. Mixing in some fruity hops to the whirlpool for 30mins with Citra/Simcoe & Amarillo to blend/balance the dankness of the said hop

Getting some malt back bone into the beer to support the hop show and aiming for a dry finish, the mash profile and yeast will sort that out.

Wouldn't mind some advice or input for the recipe.

Hop Hero Ale

OG - 1.056
FG - 1.012
ABV - 5.6%
IBU - ?? its 55 calculated (BS2.0) but more likely 35-40, maybe even lower :blink:
Vol - 20Lt
Eff - 65%

Malts

77% Ale Malt
15% Wheat Malt
6% Carared (crystal 20L)
2% Melanoiden

Mashed at - 25c/MI, 63c/20m, 73c/30m, 78c/30m

Hops

Chinook @ 30m = 21ibu

Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo - 56grams of each @ for 30min whirlpool*

* Will add 28g of each hop at the start of whirlpool, after 15mins add another 28g of each and the temp will have dropped to sub 90c with the lid off for the second addition.

Yeast

Whitelabs English Strain - WLP007 - 1.3lt starter pitched at 17c and rasied to 19c during lag phase.

Ferment for 5days at 19c and raise temp to 21c for 2-3 days to complete fermentation.

Dry Hops

Chinook - I had planned for 84g which = 4.2g/L, this will be for 7days @ 21c befire cold crashing and packaging.

Misc

Yeast Nutrient, Whirlfloc, Pure O2, Salts for water adjustment

:beerbang:

One of my favourite hops Pratty. And the last yeast I used with it was 007. The recipe looks fine to me.
Actually, I will add something. I'm not sure that the fermenter hops will go so well with the whirlpool hops, the chinook is pretty strong and may mask the late hops. Food for thought.

not sure about chinook but simcoe and citra/amarillo ive had a bit of experience with. I can get you the addition ibus this arvo for my apa. I know its 30 5 and flame/whirlpool though. All up I used about 250gm im pretty sure and 4 varieties including amarillo citra and simcoe

razz said:
Actually, I will add something. I'm not sure that the fermenter hops will go so well with the whirlpool hops, the chinook is pretty strong and may mask the late hops.
I was thinking that aswell and was a little worried that it may overide the WP additions, maybe need to back of to 1.5g/L.

Dips Me Lid said:
That sounds awesome mate, what's the idea behind a 30 min boil?
I normally do a 60min boil and thought with 30min boil and 30min WP the time frame will be the same. Also wanted to see what the bitterness is like for Chinook at 30mins instead of the normal 60 or 90m

[SIZE=10pt]Without getting into the whole debate around DMS production, boil off, rapid cooling etc. (and I probably just did), for me I wouldn’t be picking a recipe that uses 250g of hopolicious goodness to experiment with a shorter boil time if a 60 min boil has served me well in the past. No reason why you can’t add the chinook half way through.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Just my 2c[/SIZE]

It wouldnt hurt for a 60min boil and yeah like you said just do the 30m addition during that.

Ive successfully done 40 min partial mash boils with no issues

But this is not a partial mash

I'm not saying a short boil is bad or somehow will turn a hoptastic beer into cabbage soup, just that I wouldn't be changing a process that I know works. I'd first try the change in a beer where I didn't care much.

Blind Dog said:
But this is not a partial mash

I'm not saying a short boil is bad or somehow will turn a hoptastic beer into cabbage soup, just that I wouldn't be changing a process that I know works. I'd first try the change in a beer where I didn't care much.
Correct. Im changing to only ever doing minimum 60 min boils when I jump to AG when my new system comes in.

Jyst throwing it out there

Thanks for the input AHB.

I have been milling around with the final recipe regarding the hops and the dry hopping like that will over ride the whirlpool additions. I will run with the 1/3 dank 2/3rds fruit rule for late in the kettle (LRG) and replace the simcoe with Chinook. Also use the fruity hops in the dry hop, but opposite the kettel addition and be 2/3dank and 1/3 fruit for the fermenter addition.

Hop Schedule

Chinook @ 30mins - 21ibu

Chinook, Amarillo & Citra into Whirlpool for 30mins - 28g each for first 15mins, then add another 28g of for final 15mins (sub 90c)

Dry hopped with 2g/L Chinook and 1g/L both Amarillo & Citra

Really looking forward to using Chinook B)

I have recently made a Chinook and Citra IPA with a little Cascade. Fantastic.

I have also made a Chinook and Amarillo IPA recently. Good but I prefer the Chinook/Citra one.

Yesterday I made a Chinook, Citra, Centennial Pale Ale.

I have become a Chinook fan of late.

Brew day was today and I made some adjustments as required and got as follows:

OG - 1.056
IBU - 61 ( 231g into the Whirlpool )
Vol - 20Lt
Eff - 71%
Boil - 60m

Malts

Ale - 78%
Wheat - 15%
Carared - 5%
Mel - 2%

Hops

Chinook @ 60m = 25ibu

Whirlpooled after boil for 30mins with;

35g Amarillo
35g Citra
35g Chinook

After 15mins and the temp was at 88c added:

26g Amarillo
42g Citra ( what was left )
48g Chinook ( what was left )

Didn't have time to make a yeast starter on Friday night after being down the south coast all week so I went with 2 packets of So4 English Ale direct pitched into 18c wort. Id usually rehydrate but for something different I pitched them both and should get >50% viability which is all I needed for this gravity beer.

The whirlpool was thick and green, alot of the hops went straight to the base of the kettle which i found when I transferred to the FV.

Latest posts

Back