Janets Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im at work and cannot access the link for that one Yob, would be interesting to try it as a session ale. Are you planning to make one?

Been following this thread as I made a batch of the BS version recently. Missed my numbers due to making too many changes to my system/efficiency recently so had to add a kilo of dextrose to bring the ABV up to 1066. Was aiming for 1013 fg but the bugger stalled at 1020. Yeast was 2 packs of us-05 rehydrated for a 23l batch. I've been using this yeast due to convenience lately but am over it. High FGs and weak krausens even with nutrients and plenty of O2.
Anyway, started a fast ferment test as I didn't think it'd be finished with all the added dextrose. Last night the sample looked to be dropping and in a moment of weakness I tossed in an active starter of Irish Ale I had on the stir plate. Probably not the best choice of yeast but I'm hoping it brings it down to a reasonable gravity as I was looking forward to this beer.
I've now sworn off us05 and will try this yeast freezing caper Yob et al are into.

Hi Camo, I hear your woes with the US05, a few months ago I was using dry yeast for about 4-5batches and found them to be not as solid, extended lags and not fully attenuating, I was rehydrating them too......I stopped adding pure O2 when using dry yeast and the problem went away.

There are articles/debates about it and Im not entirely across why but when I had heard the dry yeast didnt need to pure oxygen and if you can get it aerated to ~ 8ppm during transfer and shaking etc etc then it will ferment better and IMO it does. I love using liquid yeast and find it produces a better beer, in saying that dry yeast in certain styles and time frames can make excellent beers too.

Pratty1 said:
Im at work and cannot access the link for that one Yob, would be interesting to try it as a session ale. Are you planning to make one?
not really on the cards atm mate, logged for future though, problem (such that it is) is that I need to make 75l at a pop so Im not sure I'll want 3 cubes of it ;)

I guess I could just do a double batch but my current system doesnt do less than that.. oh woe is me..

Yob said:
not really on the cards atm mate, logged for future though, problem (such that it is) is that I need to make 75l at a pop so Im not sure I'll want 3 cubes of it ;)

I guess I could just do a double batch but my current system doesnt do less than that.. oh woe is me..
3 cubes of brown ale.....3 types of yeast and 3 different dry hops :super:

just tried that link Yob and it came up with access denied and Im at home so there must be an error with it??

Was from the niko brew shirt thing in the retail topic, shouldnt be an issue but haven't checked it yet, will do when on pc

Latest posts

Back