Wtf Is Growing In My Backyard?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frasertag

Reaction score
rimg0698.jpg

Couple of close up off the leaves
rimg0700.jpg

rimg0701.jpg

And its seeds/Flower
rimg0704.jpg

This is one of the most bizare plants/weeds i have ever seen
I live Just south of canberra on a rural block.
Anyone have any ideas what it is??

Sorry, I don't know what it is. I think we have something similar in our bottom gully.

You should have some sort of Department of weeds in your area.

Find out where they are, if you look in the local phone book in Government departments (oh yes, all of Canberra is a Government Dept) and take a fresh sample along. Wrap it in damp tissue paper, then in plastic.

Or ask your local neighbours or local weed spray contracter.

Good on you for spotting an isolated plant. It can be 100 plants next year, and then a paddock full the year after.

Easier to find it now and chip it out, rather than having to spray everything in three years time.

The plant just behind it looks suspiciously like serrated tussock, which I hope you do not have.

Could be Polygonum odoratum. Common name is Vietnamese Mint. Crush a few leaves, it has a very stong and distinctive odour.

I agree looks like Polygonum odoratum, segmented stem and v shaped markings tend to suggest it is

attached is a link to a wiki site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Coriander

However beware as

Effects on health
In many Vietnamese herbal remedies, it is used to repress sexual urges. There is a saying in Vietnamese, "rau răm, gi sống" ("Vietnamese coriander, live bean sprouts") meaning that Vietnamese coriander has the ability to reduce sexual desires, while bean sprouts have the opposite effect. Many Buddhist monks grow coriander in their private gardens and eat it frequently as a helpful step in their celibate life.

Cheers
Chris

fraser,

did you ever find out 100% wat this mystery plant is?

Curiosity....

Brownie

However beware as

Effects on health
In many Vietnamese herbal remedies, it is used to repress sexual urges. There is a saying in Vietnamese, "rau răm, gi sống" ("Vietnamese coriander, live bean sprouts") meaning that Vietnamese coriander has the ability to reduce sexual desires, while bean sprouts have the opposite effect. Many Buddhist monks grow coriander in their private gardens and eat it frequently as a helpful step in their celibate life.

Cheers
Chris
[/quote]

Get rid of it quick.... :eek:

fraser,

did you ever find out 100% wat this mystery plant is?

Curiosity....

Brownie

Im plaining a trip out to the yarra nursary on the weekend hopefully.
I grabbed a few leaves and crushed em up and my wife had a smell she said it is not viet mint, shes a chef and used to work with it at an asian restaurant.
So im still puzzled to what it is... hopefully the nursary can tell me.

It does resemble the viet mint pictures i found on the internet though, even the seeds. but its not as bushy as the pictures.

Im plaining a trip out to the yarra nursary on the weekend hopefully.
I grabbed a few leaves and crushed em up and my wife had a smell she said it is not viet mint, shes a chef and used to work with it at an asian restaurant.
So im still puzzled to what it is... hopefully the nursary can tell me.

It does resemble the viet mint pictures i found on the internet though, even the seeds. but its not as bushy as the pictures.
Fraser
it's definitely a species of polygonum but the leaves look too large for it to be vietnamese mint. There are many native species of Polygonum and they typically grow in damp areas. You might like to find yourself a copy of "Waterplants of New South Wales" by GR Sainty and SWL Jacobs (1981) published by the then NSW Water resources commission. Maybe try the local library as it's possibly out of print. It has key to the species and reasonable colour photos to aid in identification.
Cheers
Stephen.

Fraser
it's definitely a species of polygonum but the leaves look too large for it to be vietnamese mint. There are many native species of Polygonum and they typically grow in damp areas. You might like to find yourself a copy of "Waterplants of New South Wales" by GR Sainty and SWL Jacobs (1981) published by the then NSW Water resources commission. Maybe try the local library as it's possibly out of print. It has key to the species and reasonable colour photos to aid in identification.
Cheers
Stephen.

Thats helpful information, i have a grey water trench and it is actually growing at the wettest part of the trench it gets a daily water from shower, dishwasher and washing machine. so its well Watered

Biggest thing im concerned about is if my animals are in danger, i will kill it if i have to but i kinda like the thing :)

Fraser
species of Polygonum are collectively referred to as smartweeds and their leaves can cause irritation if rubbed on tender skin. They have been suspected of causing dermatitis in man and livestock (Source: Pedley et al 1983 "Flora of South-eastern Queensland Volume 1. Qld DPI; pg. 87). More recently many Polygonum species have been reclassified into the genus Persicaria. I also believe the leaves contain salicylic acid which is toxic in large quantities.
Cheers
Stephen.

Fraser
species of Polygonum are collectively referred to as smartweeds and their leaves can cause irritation if rubbed on tender skin. They have been suspected of causing dermatitis in man and livestock (Source: Pedley et al 1983 "Flora of South-eastern Queensland Volume 1. Qld DPI; pg. 87). More recently many Polygonum species have been reclassified into the genus Persicaria. I also believe the leaves contain salicylic acid which is toxic in large quantities.
Cheers
Stephen.

Ok Based on your reply
I removed the plant from the ground put it in the hopper, i have not come accross a second one.
we have had a crazy past few months everytime we get out on the mower and cut the grass/weeds it pours down ran and we get a different weed infestation growing afterwards
EG. we had a heap of marshmellow (not sure of its real name)
then after that we have got a heap of serrated tussuk grow in its place

Back