• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm after an immersion chiller. Not fussed on size or copper vs stainless.

I'm based in Melbourne.

What's out there?

Cheers
Hunt

In case you don't find one here - I visited a plumber (or maybe fridge technician, can't recall) who just gave me a 30m copper coil in exchange for some brews. In his words, he pays bugger all for it wholesale so it didn't matter to him. Consider that as an option.

A few pages back in the ebay thread there were some for sale cheap... someone had mentioned they were a bit skinny, but i think a few people bought it

Unless you can get a second hand immersion chiller really cheap and this is important I would seriously consider a counterflow chiller instead.

Can get them new for around $80 but they are a lot more efficient and use a lot less water generally. You can use gravity between the kettle and your fermenter and by the time the kettle has drained, the wort is cooled to a couple of degrees above tap water temp.

Thanks for the replies all.
I was looking at second hand purely so I can get one for under $50. Got a baby on the way so have to be careful what I spend my mula on haha.

I used to have (well still do - but my mate is using it in NZ) a counterflow chiller. They are amazing but then I'd need to fit a tap to my kettle, and I struggle to believe that gravity alone would be enough. I used to have trouble pumping through my chiller! It was long mind you (15M) but any brew that had a good amount of hops, would clog the hop screen and limit the flow into the chiller.

I'm only doing small brews now - and would be happy with an immersion chiller.

Good call on the fridge tech! I think that's where I originally got the 15M for my CFC in NZ! Hmmmm I'll have an ask around.

Yeah looked at those!

Really want one for this weekend. Ugh!

Going to Polyair this afternoon to pick up 18M of 1/2" copper tubing and will make my own chiller. Will do a double layer style.
Unfortunately they want $99 for the wheel of tube - but I think that's retail (still cheaper than other places however).
I'm not familiar with trade prices over here in Australia. Is that a thing? i.e. in New Zealand, you would normally have some banter with the guy behind the counter then ask if they'll do 'trade price' even though it's a cash sale - and it's normally around 15% or more cheaper. Is this something that happens over here? Or will I look like a numpty if I try it on? haha

Cheers all

Hunt

Going to Polyair this afternoon to pick up 18M of 1/2" copper tubing and will make my own chiller. Will do a double layer style.
Unfortunately they want $99 for the wheel of tube - but I think that's retail (still cheaper than other places however).
I'm not familiar with trade prices over here in Australia. Is that a thing? i.e. in New Zealand, you would normally have some banter with the guy behind the counter then ask if they'll do 'trade price' even though it's a cash sale - and it's normally around 15% or more cheaper. Is this something that happens over here? Or will I look like a numpty if I try it on? haha

Cheers all

Hunt
It is definitely a thing mate. They may not give it to you, but there is no harm asking the question. If you have an ABN, you will have a much better chance of securing a trade price.

Latest posts

Back