• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: Gas burner - Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoninja

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to a single large pot opposed to using several smaller ones on my gas stove, the stove doesn't quite give it a rolling boil when it's got 30 odd litres of water in it.

I was looking at the italian spiral burners they do at beerbelly, something on a stand that pumps out a decent enough amount of gas.

Cheers
Damo

With a gas burner, it is not just the Mj/h rating. That is how much gas it burns. The actual heating efficiency varies a lot. How much heat gets transferred to the pot and how much just heats the room.You want a "rough" flame. A soft flame does not break down the barrier layer. A burner with a bit or a roar is a start. That is why turbo burners. Mongolian burners/ duck bill burners, high pressure burners heat so well. The spiral flame of the burner you mentioned also helps.
The "Rambo" is quite good value. A lot of BBQ shops sell them. There is also a 120 Mj/h burner similar to the Rambo but different brand. Bit hard to find but handy if you want to get into foundry work as well :)

The 55Mj/h Rambo is a better unit to control the flame but that one is 100 Mj/h AND it comes with a storage bag. Not a bad price.
I have been told by a couple of owners, the Companions are really full on or full off. At 100 Mj/h you might not want it full on all the time. They are, however, very easy to find in the stores, have a good name and support.

Hey mate,

I'm just about to upgrade mine, tired of waiting for it to boil double batches in a 100L pot. It's 3 ring burner with a stand from gigani's. It will happily boil 30 Liters in no time.

PM me if your interested in a second hand one not after much just happy it would go to a good home and continue brewing.

Looks very much like this, I suspect a medium pressure regulator would allow for a far greater boil quantity but I'm just going to move to a NASA burner.

20131226153704-e59e1577.jpg

DU99 said:
something like this unit

I love these NASA style burners. This thing will happily run a single batch, but if you want a double batch later this thing will still be happy to run it. They do throw out a bit of heat into the work area (as per most LPG burners) and these things can get pretty noisy at full pressure.

+1 for the NASA burner can go from very gentle heat to "wheres my kettle gone"
Noise doesn't bother me but it definately throws out some heat into the work area.

Rich

Back