Would You Study For The Bjcp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you consider the idea of studying for the BJCP exam?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Certain

• Would study the material, but not take the exam

• What the heck is BJCP?

• Total voters

shotduck

Reaction score
At the risk of making myself highly unpopular on this forum, I wish to flog what many of you may consider to be a dead horse - mostly because I am interested in gauging the general concensus out there, and I figured a nice, simple poll would be easier than sifting through all the posts in the recent threads on this matter. I, for one, would indeed be interested... You?

Hi The Shot Duck

You need a few more poll items
1. I have already passed the Bjcp exam
2. I have already failed the BJCP exam
3. I am about to sit the exam

The Adelaide group are sitting their exam on Nov 15.

Cheers
Pedro

for those who have done it, is it mostly learning about the styles and how to judge them or is there also alot of palate training involved such as detecting faults etc?

I'm taking the exam. I don't intend to do much in the way of study for it.

for those who have done it, is it mostly learning about the styles and how to judge them or is there also alot of palate training involved such as detecting faults etc?

I don't want to set MAH off, but...
You need to know a bit about each of the beer styles and how they compare to each other - eg Bohemian Pils vs German Pils vs Helles Bock and also typical beers of a region. While you are studying this, you taste as many beers from the relevant style as you can (bugger of a job!). You also need to know a bit about the raw ingredients and the brewing processes.

There is some palate training and that comes as part of the evaluating typical beers against the styles. I also ran a quick doctored beer session for the Adelaide group as well. When you get to the exam stage you need to be able to judge beers, describe them fully and look for faults.

Cheers
Pedro

Great thread, SD. :D

I'm certainly interested in doing the BJCP course. I agree it's definitely not the best course in the world, but it's certainly the best we've got ATM.

[Start hijack] For those in inner suburbs of Sydney (or willing to travel), I'm trying to rustle up some interest in a BJCP course starting next year. PM me if you are interested.[End hijack]

At the risk of repeating what Pedro said...

Its about 50% learning the various styles of beer and what makes them unique, how to brew them, ingredients, unsual methods, and 50% learning to detect and identify faults in beer.

The end result is that you should be able to taste a homebrew, ask the brewer what they were trying to make, and then tell them how close they came, and whether there are any faults in the brew and how to avoid any faults in the future.

[hijack2]
I have given BJCP exams in the past and am happy to do that again. Let me know if you want to set something up. The major complication is that I have just relocated to Townsville. Which means you might need to pay for a flight for me to give the exam out of Townsville.

But if anyone in Townsville wants to do a BJCP course next year, lemme know.
[/hijack2]

Berp.

I have!

I sat the BJCP exam on the day after I helped out at the NSW state comp.

Not sure how I did, in the exam, with the theory and styles etc (memory stuff), but I think I gave a fair reckoning of my judging skills, both in the exam and at the comp.

BTW, if anyone got judging sheets back from me and wants more info, based on what I wrote, sling me a PM and let me know what you want feedback on (a quote from my comments might help jog a memory. Hopefully, I won't get inundated.

In my opinion, the BJCP course is great, and the tastings/style familiarisations really helped me with recognising flavours (both right and wrong). I discovered that I am one those who can taste diacetyl, but have little sensistivity to acetaldehyde. I am very sensitive to phenolics and acetic aromas (prob from brewing good and bad wheat beer). My nose and tongue are both good at picking up hop astringency and oxidation, which were both a little too well represented in the State comp, in one of the styles I judged. I tried to provide helpful, corrective feedback, but it was a busy day, and I may have missed writing some relevant comments.

The competition judging is at least as useful as the BJCP learning, and both go well together. After tasting those comp entries, I get a feel for where I am as a brewer, and as a judge.

Looking forward to more judging, but maybe not another BJCP exam. If I did, more study would be required, for sure.

Seth out :p

The competition judging is at least as useful as the BJCP learning, and both go well together. After tasting those comp entries, I get a feel for where I am as a brewer, and as a judge.

Looking forward to more judging, but maybe not another BJCP exam. If I did, more study would be required, for sure.

Seth out :p

Sir
You did very well in the comp and there is NO doubt (in my mind) that good brewers make good judges and that good judges make good candidates for the BJCP exam.

K

Well put Doktor k,

...ah, but good beer judges are not necessarily good negotiators.

You see, I could not manage to wangle my Berliner-style weisse into the Nats comp. I was hoping to get/ use a another category, but they are all filled by other legitimate winners.

I can see the dilemma, and why it may be considered the fault of either the NSW comp guys or the AABC guys. I blame no-one, as I barely expected the beer to pull a place in the NSW comp (being a weird beer).

I hope they don't slaughter me, and I don't get grief for this hijack, but I'm gonna send them the weisse, if only for tasting purposes. Hell, I'm already gonna send the Old ale, so why not chuck the other into the parcel.

Hijak/ rant/ venting closed.

See, my BJCP training has put me at peace on this topic. Hmm, there's a thread topic: Zen and the Art of Brewing. Prob already been done.

Good night to all.

Seth out

Has anyone ever thought of an open class for the best new style beer?You must register 6 months prior to comp and you must put down a description of what you are trying to do, the recipe and method (with some flexability), even if it includes adding a sour, poxy infection that will make my beer taste like $#@!*&^, and when you submit your sample show some evidence of the process, then let the judges decide who was a) closest to their aim and B) made a well developed, tastey, complex original beer?

Back