Would One Wyeast Pack Fire Off 57l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that is really John Palmer's forte, the information he writes is nothing new or outstanding it is the way he writes it.

so one wyeast activator pack has 100 billion cells
the article recommends 0.375-0.5 billion cells per L for a belgian style ale.
57L of wort
hmmm....

Nice info there Kirem! :)

I thnk you, or maybe i misunderstood the OP'er. Myabe they can clarify.

I think they are talking about a 'triple batch' (x3) not a Belgian tripel. In that case they would be in the medium to high range for our everyday beers.

I dont mind following Jamils advise given by George Fix who has a Ph.D in Science. Its interesting to see how JP pitches on te other end of the scale to JZ... I think the proofs in the pudding, JZ wins awards consistently. Is it due to the pitching rates? Or is the rest of his process far superior to JPs?

Not to say i haven't underpitched before and made good beer. I'd just prefer to try and make better beer with higher pitcing rates for the styles i brew.

Cheers and beers! :icon_cheers:

Edit;

Oh, just reading a few lines again, I think what john is saying those are the base pitching rates at 0 plato for 1 L, you then * that figure by L then * Plato

so for a standard belgian pale 1.055 57L batch he would need 391,875,000,000 or 391.87 billion cells 4 packs instead of my counted 5.

500,000,000 * 57 * 13.75 = 391875000000 cells.

I will typically underpitch, sometimes significantly, for example 1 packet dried yeast NOT hydrated and chucked straight on top of 44 litres of wort! This is usually due to my slackness or inability to coordinate stepping my starters up large enough to when they need to be pitched.

But I know my wort is highly sanitary (pressurised steam for sanititation of CFC & fermenter) and have had 36-48 hour lag times before without an issue.

Beer still tasted great!

John

:icon_offtopic:
I thought it was in mathematics field.
His wiki article claims he wrote a textbook in mathematics, and has degrees in science. This has a bit more, and is probably more reliable. Still not exactly sure what his science focus was, but then I can't really be bothered searching more.

Latest posts

Back