Wot Cheeses Me Off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcmcg

I had lotsa barrels on the old AHB..
Reaction score
I have to say , this is going to be a quick rant.
I have noticed some new AHB memers who reply to everything. They also do not use correct grammar , punctuation or , for that matter , spelling. Whilst i am no english major or a top speller , I , at the very least , try and spell correctly and make meaningful contributions.
In the 2 and a bit years , i have been a member , i have made nearly 500 posts . I would hope that the majority of these are helpfull .I know new members who are up to nearly 1000 posts and have been members for less than 12 months .
All i want to say is this pisses me off.Shut up.Idiots.
I guess empty vessels and all that.....
That is all.
Thanks for listening.
End of rant.
Ferg

WOT a circular panpipe used in the morlam music of Laos and Thailand

I can see how a pan pipe can annoy you. :D

Panflute.gif

:D

Should have pulled my head in and spelt correctly , before i had my rant....
It's just..i don't know..
It pisses me off...one bloke is about 5 posts away from 1000 and he speaks utter shit...

sum of us give up.....trying to expect to much from people,especially on the internet....they misuse puntuation , prolly dont know how to use it , anyway. Apparently ellipses.......can be used as a comma.....or hell even a space.....in the middle of a sentence.

it's also a
good idea
to line-break every
few words or rite a phucken limerick wen
you post.

make sure to use a differrent font wherever possible so that people know you're post is important.

I get it..........people on the internet dont have the same literary standards as others...... but your a grammer natzi if you point it out.

ill just keep sighing too myself evry time i see topics on fermention of largers wot swbmo lieks, but if one of you dares miss a serial comma.....watch out!!!!!

2hz4x9k.jpg

2z5vpj6.jpg

20050902h.jpg

</finicky-rant-about-subject-few-people-care-about>

Yes , QB.
This is probably also true.I however, feel better.Sort of .
:kooi:
Okay , are you being ironic , or just.using.puntuation.weird whiel complaining , about puntuation? English (double) spacing between sentences was wrong 40 years ago. Spacing both sides of a comma was never right.

[Yes, I'm a nerd; I spent quite some time carefully hard-coding hair-spaces and em-dashes correctly into my 160 page thesis. I'm still certain no-one has read it since.]

Okay , are you being ironic , or just.using.puntuation.weird whiel complaining , about puntuation? English (double) spacing between sentences was wrong 40 years ago. Spacing both sides of a comma was never right.

[Yes, I'm a nerd; I spent quite some time carefully hard-coding hair-spaces and em-dashes correctly into my 160 page thesis. I'm still certain no-one has read it since.]
Ease off him, he's probably just trying to type it into an iPhone.

I agree with parts of what u say ferg, I really do. But most of my posts r on iPhone these days and it's shit to type on those things so lots of mistakes get made. Oh and Im a terrible speller, so guaranteed I'm spelling words incorrectly.

In saying all this I'm sure there is a follow on effect from forum/SMS/IM slackness to real world impact. The quitting skills of a lot of people is terrible. I read a lot of briefs/papers etc at work and it's terrible. Mind u those briefs etc are from genX and boomers as well, so I'm not sure what their excuse is.

There are a few things that shit me to tears on this forum, your entitled to have your pet hates also.

sum of us give up.....trying to expect to much from people,especially on the internet....they misuse puntuation , prolly dont know how to use it , anyway. Apparently ellipses.......can be used as a comma.....or hell even a space.....in the middle of a sentence.

it's also a
good idea
to line-break every
few words or rite a phucken limerick wen
you post.

make sure to use a differrent font wherever possible so that people know you're post is important.

I get it..........people on the internet dont have the same literary standards as others...... but your a grammer natzi if you point it out.

ill just keep sighing too myself evry time i see topics on fermention of largers wot swbmo lieks, but if one of you dares miss a serial comma.....watch out!!!!!

</finicky-rant-about-subject-few-people-care-about>

Don't forget the RANDOM capitals, even if the word doesn't need to be emphasised...

As someone who works in IT, but isn't really a hard core computer person, I'm amazed at how often people turn their brain off just because they are doing something on a computer.

'I'm not an IT person, I don't know anything about computers" is a phrase I hear so often, but if a persons stops and thinks about what they are doing it often makes sense, computer or not...

Every forum on the internet has a thread whinging about grammar/spelling and in most cases there is more then just one of them.
But the fact is there is nothing worse then reading pages of "text speak" from complainers trying to prove a point by using the so called problem issue themselves while whinging about said problems...Oh the irony!!!

Glad these guys don't have a problem with midgets.
Imagine if they were to cut off their legs to spite their face :p

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dsenot mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt too!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt too!

Related to this, I'm finding it amazing to watch a mind at work and how these sort of things happen.
My daughter is learning to read and one thing she often does is actually read apostrophied words as their long form.
So the book will say 'I'm' but she'll read 'I am'.
She does it fairly consistently across most of these sort of words, although there are exceptions.

@warmbeer. Be careful reading it at work. Some of them are gut-bustingly laugh out loud funny.

Every forum on the internet has a thread whinging about grammar/spelling and in most cases there is more then just one of them.

It seems to me that everyone is focussing on only a small part of ferg's complaint (mostly because of the glaring irony, I suppose) but it seems to me that his issue is more about content rather than form. And, quite frankly, I agree with him. The most recent wave of new users talks nothing but absolute garbage. I'm not talking about OT stuff for their own amusement - what passes for advice here these days is largely appalling (obviously there are some persistent, experienced brewers still giving up the good stuff and I thank them for that and don't wish to diminish their input). Threads are staying more on topic these days than I have seen in recent times but when you consider the average quality - goats and boobies in every thread would probably be less of a waste of time.

And don't get me started on the user whose only purpose is to point out brewing bargains.

Back