Worthogs - Pale Ale Mania 2012?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, and very generous of you to share your recipe so openly.

A question regarding the salt additions in your mash, are the units in table-spoons (tbsp) as your recipe suggests, or should that be tea-spoons (tsp)?

Every other brewer I've seen using MgSO4 has used a 1/4 tea-spoon. If you are using table-spoons, I might need to re-evaluate my own salt additions.

Cheers.

No problems with sharing the recipe, I think it is one good thing about this community here on AHB.

MgSO4 is definitely TEASPOON, the others are all tablespoon. Have to note Geelong has quite soft water with low Ca, low Mg and low CaCO3.

May have been a typo by HoppinMad or I may have sent it to him wrong in the first place, probably the latter :)

I'll get the fully documented recipe based on my brew session and fermentation/dry hopping notes up on my website tonight hopefully. I'll post back here when I've got it done.

May have been a typo by HoppinMad or I may have sent it to him wrong in the first place, probably the latter :)

Yeah sorry I did post a slightly abridged version.... as it was quite a big document!

Didn't change any text though... just did some deleting

we killed your tri-centennial the night before or was that in the comp as well, as that was a 42 pointer AIPA ? I put 1 beer in I thought was ok, the other 3 I knew weren't :) , but it was a black AIPA, and I had all sorts of trouble with my CPBF on the morning.

Thanks for that mate. Yeah MB dinner killed the tri-centennial and I hadn't taken a single bottle before hand for myself. The AIPA and APA were bottled from a follow up batch with same recipe but a switch to a mix of Cascade and Calypso hops instead. Have to say the Tri Centennial worked much better for me. Too bad I didn't keep a cheeky bottle or two.... B)

I put 1 beer in I thought was ok, the other 3 I knew weren't :), but it was a black AIPA, and I had all sorts of trouble with my CPBF on the morning.
You entered a black AIPA?
I didn't think there were guidelines or consideration for such a beer and so you'd miss out on most all the points for how it looks (and likely more for the roast-malt-quality it may have)?

You entered a black AIPA?
I didn't think there were guidelines or consideration for such a beer and so you'd miss out on most all the points for how it looks (and likely more for the roast-malt-quality it may have)?

I put it in as a AIPA, it has no roastyness, the colour was from carafa special 2, I figured it should have only been pinged 2 points for colour :)

I put it in as a AIPA, it has no roastyness, the colour was from carafa special 2, I figured it should have only been pinged 2 points for colour :)
Psychology plays too much into it. People, even BJCP certified people, can't disassociate what their tastebuds/nose are telling them from their expectations of what looks like an 'out of style' beer.

You were outside of the 1 σ normal curve, just not in the right direction :)

Ninjedit: All the above is conjecture, I was not present at the judging in any form.

Correct, I didn't have any problems.

I don't think the "club" sub-forums are locked down in any way, and beside, I'm in a totally different brew club.

Hmmm.... yea I'm still getting the "Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken" message.

Oh well. Thanks none the less peoples :beerbang:

As discussed earlier in thread, full recipe including brew session, fermentation & dry hopping notes can be found here

Hey John! Congrats on the win! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us all :) very kind of you. I'd love to pick your brain a bit on your dry hopping schedule/techniques if I could? Things like how long and at what temps? Do you bag the pellets or just throw them in loose? I was also going to ask about primary or secondary but I see your using a conical! :icon_drool2: If anyone else wants to chime in them I'm all ears :beer:

it may take a couple of weeks, well get 1 at some stage

:icon_chickcheers: Tasting notes / review in the mail today..

Highest score 36 - lowest 33.. not bad for a beer I had laying about and not even brewed to style :rolleyes:

Slightly confused by the "ever so slightly sour finish" noted by all 3 judges..

hmmmm... sour.... hmmmm... :blink:

:ph34r:

Bloody hope not mate.. Might have to change up the sanitation routine for a bit. Will bring along a bottle or two to the next meet for analysis.. Purely scientific of course..

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers: Tasting notes / review in the mail today..

Slightly confused by the "ever so slightly sour finish" noted by all 3 judges..

hmmmm... sour.... hmmmm... :blink:

:ph34r:

Could be a candidate for Vicbrew Specialty Category! Call it a "Soured American Pale Ale"

Sorry guys, I completely forgot to put anything up here, just made sure it was all on our website.

As for recipes, you may be waiting a while for all of them. We often have a hard time getting them from all the placegetters and don't usually get the book completed until the following year. Hopefully this year might be different.

With regard to the score sheets, I sent them all out in the mail within about three days, so please let me know if you didn't receive one, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that much.

Our website does need you to refresh it to make sure you're looking at the most up to date information. I am moving things around a bit too, as the site gets a bit cluttered. I just moved the recipe books to their own page as there are quite a few now.

I'll try to remember to post on here next year.

Latest posts

Back