Worth Keeping? How To Decide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
So I have a stout that will be finished soon, problem is I am not liking the taste of it. I am just not sure if I will keep this one or not ... if I don't like it much at bottling time is it worth it? I know brews improve with age, particularly stout, but I think that should be from ok to good, or from good to great. Is it likely to go from not good to ok,good or even great?

Opinions please?

If you have the bottles spare, bottle it and let it age. You may be very suprised in 2 months time (winter = stout season too!).

Cheers - Mike

What about it don't you like? If it is sour or something then its a goner but if it is just unbalanced then bottle and age will help heaps.

Drew

Unless it's too sweet. If it starts off too sweet it'll only get worse with age.

It would have to be infected for me not to bottle it.

Then if it was a bad drop after aging I'de curse myself to the last drop for getting it so wrong.

I wish my good beers would last as long as my bad ones

Give it a chance I say

stout tends to get better with age as you said.what type of stout is it..

It is a milk stout (see the other thread on the probs I have had with this)

What about it don't you like? If it is sour or something then its a goner but if it is just unbalanced then bottle and age will help heaps.

Drew
Just tastes thin and a bit too bitter.

Final decision is to add lactose and bottle, wait and try. Thanks for the input :icon_cheers:

I had some pretty average stout at the middle of last year but at the moment it has turned into pretty nice smooth drinkable stout after 6 months

My last stout was too bitter when I bottled, but after 4-5 weeks in the bottle its really good, so I would be careful with the lactose, or maybe only do half of them.

The longer the stout sits in the bottle the more the bitterness should mellow out.

You can always brew another stout with an extra thick body with low attenuation (mash high, select a yeast for the job), then blend that with your first one. Make recipe No2 quite a bit different, to allow for a nice complexity when the two are mixed

What was you final gravity? Stouts aren't geberally thin. The bitterness could just be from the dark grains, tannins & such, but with out extra info it's kinda hard to help. Post up the recipe & your procedure

FG stable at 1020 over 4 days

recipe below

Recipe: Two Plank Stout

1 can Stout (I used Thomas Coopers Selection Irish stout)

1kg dark dried malt

200g dried malt additive

1 can sweetened condensed milk

kit yeast - did not respond well to hydration so I used an extra yeast

I also threw in some brown sugar coz I like mine sweet and a yeast nutrient

pitched at 23degrees and kept it at 20-21 for the two weeks

^^ Why not ? Many of us send beers around Australia without issue.

Anyway, I still think you should blend it with another stout.

^^ Why not ? Many of us send beers around Australia without issue.

Anyway, I still think you should blend it with another stout.

really? I asked elsewhere about posting beer and no-one knew if it was ok for the beer or not.

Blending is a good idea but the next stout I make will be a cherry one and I don't think I want to mix those two. As I am the only one who drinks beer etc I always end up with way more than I can use so 2 stouts will be enough.

really? I asked elsewhere about posting beer and no-one knew if it was ok for the beer or not.

Really. Hundreds of members here would post beer every year for swaps, comps and x-mas lotteries without any dramas.

Just have a few of your better brews first then have one/two/twenty of your less appealing ones, that's what I do with my Pale Ale that turned out a bit bland. Another option is give 'em to bludgey mates.

"Then if it was a bad drop after aging I'de curse myself to the last drop for getting it so wrong."
^I applaud this attitude.

Really. Hundreds of members here would post beer every year for swaps, comps and x-mas lotteries without any dramas.

:icon_offtopic: so how is it done? won't they get too warm sitting around in a postpack heading interstate? is there a knack to packing them?

Latest posts

Back