Wort Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NT,
Just chill to as low as you can with your tap water then put it in the fridge overnight. Saves making or buying ice too!
Pitch the yeast the next day. You even have the option to tranfer off the break material if you are that way inclined.

cheers

Darren

i wonder hoe good the mash master plate chiller would work compared to the cfc ect

NT,
Just chill to as low as you can with your tap water then put it in the fridge overnight. Saves making or buying ice too!
Pitch the yeast the next day. You even have the option to tranfer off the break material if you are that way inclined.

cheers

Darren

I do the same as this also. Which is ok i suppose, if you have a spare fridge.
Even in melbourne, its just not possible to get wort down to lagers temps with tap water alone.

Even if you dont have a spare fridge, i personally would recommend you get yourself one. You can pickup a 2nd hand one fairly cheap and it is, imho, the simplest solution to your problem.

justifying it to the other half may present a another problem tho. No easy solutions for that one i'm afraid.

cheers

vl.

NT,
You do have a fermenting fridge I presume? Just use that.

cheers

Darren

All,
Thanks for the replies.
I will forget the 'whirlpool' set up, use the CCFWC that I have, build an aeration system to Doc's specs and leave it at that.

Darren,
Yes I have a small bar fridge that I use as a fermentation fridge but am in the process of upgrading to a 360lt chest freezer. I have a heap of dexion style shelving that is just over 2.2m wide and 500mm deep so my plans are to join two sets together and have the ferment fridge on one side with the 'brewery' on the other. The chest freezer will fit better without wasting valuable space. The aim is to avoid lugging a full fermenter to the other end of the house. Will post pics soon once I have the frame work cleaned up and all the kit mocked up ready for plumbing.
Cheers
nt
:beer:

I noticed an increase in the clarity of my beers as soon as I stopped using my pump to recirculate to chill.

Interesting info Darren. Makes sense really once when I think about it. Strange that Jamil uses this method as he is really obsessive about his brewing. Perhaps he just filters it out.

I have no problem pitching yeast several degrees above fermentation temperature. My fermentation fridge will get it to where I want in a matter of hours and I am fairly confident the yeast won't get an opportunity to throw off flavours in just a few hours. Someone more knowledgeable than me on yeast metabolism might have more details.

Latest posts

Back