Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I bit the bullet on friday and bought 18m of annealed copper tube from bunnings. It was the smaller size which is a bit smaller than the inner diameter of a garden hose. Took me 10mins to work it into the correct diameter coil and bend up the inlet and outlet.

Took 15mins to get to 30deg with the tap water temp sitting at 25deg. Very happy with this and don't know how I managed to stuff about with pots of frozen water before.

Whoever made the comment about making sure you bend the ends down on the coil so if the hose pops off you don't fill your kettle ... thanks saved me already :huh:

JasonY,

That piece of advice (bending the ends down) was given to me and I passed it on here. Has saved me and I'm glad I've been able to save someone else.

Beers,
Doc

i used a couple of hose clamps to make sure the hose stays connected to the copper. thanks to my dog, i have some extra hose scraps so i leave two short pieces (about 1m) connected to each end of the chiller all the time. worked pretty well last week. surprisingly the chiler was probably the thing that worked best for my first ag batch
joe

Yep I do the same Joe, but I use the snap on connectors on the end of the 6 inch hose take offs to connect the hose from the tap .... this is what popped off during cooling ... the way it is set up the hose just fell to the ground!

don't use steelwool for cleaning ss

Don't let beerstone build up, it will reduce the rate of heat transfer into the kettle. 5 mins with a green scrubby is enough

I use a counterflow chiller not an immersion chiller, after I have run out the strike water, I start bringing the sparge water to a boil, fit the CFC then let all 20 or so litres run through the chiller to sanitise it

Jovial Monk

What about posting a piccy of that JM?

Back