Worsts Hbs Advice Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveisbludging

Reaction score
I asked my wife to pick up a can of liquid amber malt when she was down at the shops. I got home from work and realised she had bought pale malt and not amber, jumped in the car and flew down to the HBS hoping to catch them before they closed. Asked owner who said, Morgans call there Amber malt "Pale malt" and only Blackrock have an "Amber malt" which he didn't have in stock. Don't worry, the Morgans is what you want.

Left scratching my head, thinking that's odd but he should know what he's talking about. Made up my brew and realised there was no way it was amber malt after I had opened up the tin. Had a few private polite words for the owner. Jumped onto the Morgans website to confirm my suspicions. Son of a .... Morgans Pale Malt is 5 EBC and Amber is 12 EBC.

I guess that's what happens when your HBS also sells cigarettes and that's the source of most of there income.

Yes, all these blokes have got some pretty strong opinions. My local HBS owner told me to rack my beer before it has finished fermenting, "at about 3/4 ferment" he says, so the head space in the rack fills with Co2, or something like that.
I did it for the last time with the Stout i got going or "NOT GOING" at the moment.
But they all mean well and a few of you fellas probably know who i am talking about.

SJW,

Don't take that racking advice as being too bad. The jury really is still out on it as far as I can see. A lot of brewers rack at half gravity or so with no probs. I've only had one stuck ferment and it was the only time I racked at or near half gravity so I'm definitely in the 'wait till fermentation finishes' camp, but doesn't mean it is the only way. The bloke at the shop you're talking about does know his stuff though. You just need to 'filter' it a little at times if you know what I mean...

Off topic - are you going to the footy on Sunday?

Shawn.

Yeh Mark is good value. I guess he knows his stuff.
No i wont be at the game this week but i still want to get to the Sunnyside for a couple of IPA's.

daveisbludging said:
I asked my wife to pick up a can of liquid amber malt when she was down at the shops. I got home from work and realised she had bought pale malt and not amber, jumped in the car and flew down to the HBS hoping to catch them before they closed. Asked owner who said, Morgans call there Amber malt "Pale malt" and only Blackrock have an "Amber malt" which he didn't have in stock. Don't worry, the Morgans is what you want.

Left scratching my head, thinking that's odd but he should know what he's talking about. Made up my brew and realised there was no way it was amber malt after I had opened up the tin. Had a few private polite words for the owner. Jumped onto the Morgans website to confirm my suspicions. Son of a .... Morgans Pale Malt is 5 EBC and Amber is 12 EBC.

I guess that's what happens when your HBS also sells cigarettes and that's the source of most of there income.
As bad as this advice is, as it was obviously geared towards making the sale despite it being not what was asked for (?? was that a sentence??), it is far from the worst advice ever.

A poster on Another Forum mentioned that his HBS told him to add 500g of dextrose to a fermenter, rack his finished beer onto it, wait a day then bottle!!!

something along the lines of 'all the breweries use malt extract - noone brews with grain anymore'

cheers
reg

Maybe I should rephrase it as "Worst HBS Advice I've ever received". The guy was either ignorant or just trying to make a sale. I would have preferred an honest answer of I don't have that in stock but you could use this instead.

Back