Worst Stuck Sparge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the low clearance, my SS FB doesn't deflect, but I scallop the tip of the pickup just in case.

Cheers
Rob

G'day Rob,
You misread - I said tun (not FB) deformation, though the outcome could be the same.
A number of the rubbermaids I have seen that have been in service for a while have deformed inside, severely in some cases, hence the advice not to go within mm.

Happy mashing,
Peter

Plain PVC tubing will soften and flatten with the weight of grain when heated to sparge temps, reinforced PVC tubing seems to do the trick. I like BB's and pumpy's setup...........good one.

G'day Rob,
You misread - I said tun (not FB) deformation, though the outcome could be the same.
A number of the rubbermaids I have seen that have been in service for a while have deformed inside, severely in some cases, hence the advice not to go within mm.

Happy mashing,
Peter

I have been using my rubbermaid for just under a year now, no distortion only cracking around the tap on the inner lining, fixed this with a 70 x 70mm S/S .8mm plate bedded in epoxy to strengthen tap mount. Works well and no further problems.
I don't reccomend washing out a rubbermaid cooler with boiling water as I have heard some guys do. Warm water an starsan seems to do the job IMHO.

Cheers

I have been using my rubbermaid for just under a year now, no distortion only cracking around the tap on the inner lining, fixed this with a 70 x 70mm S/S .8mm plate bedded in epoxy to strengthen tap mount. Works well and no further problems.
I don't reccomend washing out a rubbermaid cooler with boiling water as I have heard some guys do. Warm water an starsan seems to do the job IMHO.

Cheers

+1, no distortion either. I agree with the boiling water, don't need to sanitise the thing. When I put hot water in mine, boy it makes loads of cracking noise as the plastic expands relative to the insulation, bugger.

Good call on the plate at the tap, it's a good idea to get a good clamp with the bulkhead fitting but that stresses the plastic which probably caused your cracking. I left mine loose one day, and hot wort flooded the insulation area. Man that was gross once the liquid started to go off, pong! Lots of boiling water and iodaphor rinses later, it's back to normal, i hope!

Cheers

HI Beernut,
After only a year I would hope not too :)
The deformation I am referring to is just from mash & sparge temp water.
No, the Rubbermaid tuns I am thinking of don't get cleaned with boiling water either, just in case you thought that was the cause.

Rgds,
PW

Maybe the fact the hose is made of pvc is the problem?

Have mine with a with silicon hose (the heat resistant stuff you get from G&G and the like - same configuration as the pics) and no issues thus far. Doesn't seem to flatten/kink at all or get stuck sparge. Mind you only done a few batches, so will have to keep an eye on it.

Do like pumpy's tube though - some real eye candy there :D

Hopper.

That silicon tubing is not cheap. PVC with the reinforced braiding seems to hold its shape OK. Read somewhere that plain PVC tube is only rated to 60C before it loses its shape. Not sure about the braided stuff except it works for me. I am doing a whole new re-vamp with my gear and will replace my rubbermaid with a sixty litre keg as I need to do a bigger mash and fit it to a HERM system further down the track. Would probably do the outlet like pumpy's setup as it looks a good idea.

That silicon tubing is not cheap. PVC with the reinforced braiding seems to hold its shape OK. Read somewhere that plain PVC tube is only rated to 60C before it loses its shape. Not sure about the braided stuff except it works for me. I am doing a whole new re-vamp with my gear and will replace my rubbermaid with a sixty litre keg as I need to do a bigger mash and fit it to a HERM system further down the track. Would probably do the outlet like pumpy's setup as it looks a good idea.

Get yourself some of this stuff if you use soft tubing in a mash tun. It's called Plutone and has SS wire spiral round for reinforcement. You can get it at a fair few places, I got mine from Karl at Process pumps but they also sell it at Beer Belly I think.

plutonetx5.jpg

Good stuff, won't collapse, and is use for suction lines on pumps...

Latest posts

Back