Worried About Oxygen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
I'm moving my beer from my fermenter into a 25 litre container (from bunnings), just worried about oxygen when I rack. As the secondary container doesn't have a lid like the fermenter... it has a solid lid, how to I go about racking? (beer to be racked onto raspberries). Wondering about the glad wrap method? and putting a hole in it? is that too much oxygen? Good for leaving for a week for fruit racking?

Sorry, this is rushed.

You can rack tap to tap. Method at the bottom of this article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=68

I don't - I just use a hose on the tap of the first which sits at the bottom of the second. First lot comes out gently until the end of the hose is submerged then increase the drain pressure.

Presuming you mean it has a normal screw cap lid? Just screw it on if main fermentation is finished. Screw on tight then back it off a touch - c02 can still escape and oxygen intake will be minimised.

The less headspace you have the better depending on how long it stays on the fruit for. Any long term ageing should have none, a week or so shouldn't be too much of a drama, particularly if you can cold condition..

Thanks manticle, that was a perfect reply! :p

Just wondering now though about head space, I will probably have 2 litres of headspace? Is this okay for two weeks?

I wouldn't worry too much. Can you cold condition for the second of those weeks?

Yeah should be able to. What temp do you think?

Um, just thinking, with the lid, can I just sit the lid on top of the container? or will too much oxygen get in this way?

You could but it's easily knocked off. Why do you want to?

If it puts your mind at ease I have done primary ferments in a 20 L cube with very little headspace. As suggested above I tighten the lid to 'just tight' then back it off a touch. I've had some overflow but easily cleaned. For secondary there will be no drama and I'd say you'll have better luck keeping that headspace full of CO2 blanket f you tighten it a bit.

I cold condition somewhere around 2 degrees. Anything under 10 is a good start, under 5 is better and 2-4 optimum.

I'm moving my beer from my fermenter into a 25 litre container (from bunnings), just worried about oxygen when I rack. As the secondary container doesn't have a lid like the fermenter... it has a solid lid, how to I go about racking? (beer to be racked onto raspberries). Wondering about the glad wrap method? and putting a hole in it? is that too much oxygen? Good for leaving for a week for fruit racking?

Sorry, this is rushed.

If I have this right, you are racking onto fruit for a secondary fermentation. If so then there will be some continuing fermentation as the yeast works on the fruit sugars. this will produce Co2 but not in comparable volumes to primary fermentation and so not affording you the benefit of a good covering of protective Co2. I would fit an airlock of some description, even if you drilled a hole through the lid and fitted a blow off tube into a container of water. Unsure if your fruit has been frozen prior but I think open fermentation (or near enough) with fruit would be risky.

Cheers

Screwy

Put a lit tea candle on a saucer and place it in the bottom of your fermenter with the lid on.

When it extinguises itself ... rack your beer in. :beerbang:

Back