Workplace Fun Nazis Block Ahb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Yeasty, perhaps i work in a different industry / company to you, but as long as my scheduled work is getting done & i answer the ph, my company doesnt mind if i surf the net a bit, turn up late occasionally, or have a long lunch now & then. on the minus side, is i occasionally have to work after hours & dont get paid extra / overtime. swings & roundabouts...

I dont have a problem with any of what u said or others have said. Your situation is a good example of a give and take.

Im not going to argue with everyones opinion, just offered mine which seems to upset a few people...Like i said its a pitty the few take advantage which messes it up for the rest of us who try do the right thing. Unfortunatly there are companies out ther who choose a total ban on external websites...I say if u dont like it, leave. U have the power to choose where u work...

What a shame we all can't work for GOOGLE.... :(

Check this out...

Sqyre.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeasty,
What people are responding is that you suggested a total ban on non-work activity at work, this is quite draconian and not suited to the modern professional employee.

Fair enough if you work on a production line you can't wander off and surf the net for 10 minutes - all hell will break loose, I have done some of these jobs I know.

But, where I work (analytical lab) I control my own work flow, I often check this and another forum 3 times a day maybe 5 minutes each time. The nature of what I do is I go flat out for 2.5 hours first thing and then I have 2-3 hours where I just need to monitor the analysis, do some paperwork, housekeeping, and then clean up for knock off.

I don't know what the previous occupant of my position did, but I have caught up on all of the work, I even had nothing to do for a few days last week, he was 400 samples (4 weeks worth) behind. and the work is getting out on time (not 1 month overdue).

I quite often go without morning brew (this is an entitlement in my award) and wont stop for lunch until I know that the instrument is running and by stopping I am not holding things up. Ultimately this is to my own advantage as I don't have to stay back and can get a few more samples through.

BTW, I don't smoke which is a fantastic way to kill an hour a day at work. I used to work in a book bindery where the smokers were allowed to get a key and go out the back for a smoke, but the non-smokers were not allowed to go out for a sit.

BTW, I don't smoke which is a fantastic way to kill an hour a day at work. I used to work in a book bindery where the smokers were allowed to get a key and go out the back for a smoke, but the non-smokers were not allowed to go out for a sit.

Workplace discrimination at its finest!

Same happens at our work, the one smoker gets an unruly number of breaks an hour to go out and chow down on a deathstick. However, she is my boss, and she pays me, so I let it slide <_< .

Yeasty,
What people are responding is that you suggested a total ban on non-work activity at work, this is quite draconian and not suited to the modern professional employee.
<snip>

Sorry mate u must re-read the thread. I didnt say that at all. If i did please quote me word for word where i stated there must be a total ban of external use of internet @ work.

In fact i said the opposite a number of times...Its more to the fact i was saying its the few who abuse the system that has led to some companies cracking down on internet use.

Im all for the way that you suggested that you work. If you are ahead of schedule, and can afford to sit back while things are running smooth, then go for it. :)

Might sound weird, but how about actually working while at work...

If everyone in australia didnt use the internet for their own purposes while being paid to do a job, this country would be in a far better off place...(i'd say that 99% of people would though)

Obviously you people have either never owned your own business, or have a total bullshit place of work to slack off...if you hate your job/company that much then quit, and dont waste their time.

edit/ how about if someone like Ross had to rely on someone to process his computer orders, and this said person spent a lot of time doing what he she wanted on the internet instead...A lot of unhappy people here me thinks...

Yeasty said:
Sorry mate u must re-read the thread. I didnt say that at all. If i did please quote me word for word where i stated there must be a total ban of external use of internet @ work.

The connotation of the first post is DO NOT ever use the Internet at work for non-work related activities. You have not stated it explicitly but for my mind this is what you meant.

In later posts you have softened you line a little to be in agreement with my situation.

I have also held jobs where I was paid to surf the net, no way as much fun as it sounds I had to research Gov't business units and legislation to write summary descriptions of them. :(

This is growing fast old, but anyway...

My origional response was to the few posts who stated:

Hard luck Fester, what you going to do all day now?

and

Without AHB, i'd have to...work

Funnily enough Jazman said the exact same thing i said

Even Better do some work as i know most bosses would not like there workers bludging reading good ahb stuff ....<snip>

So where are the comments about his posts, or are u just responding because i choose to reply?

Your initial though was wrong, i never meant that there should be a total ban, just that people should either wait till their breaks, or as suggested later by you, if your ahead of schedule, do what u want....

Latest posts

Back