Working Out Bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey guys, been reading john palmers how to brew and was wondering about working out the bitterness required for a certain recipe. Am getting a bit confused with AAU's and IBU's, and as his book is in ounces and we use grams, i'm a bit lost.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Hazz

You can use the brew calculators link on the top if the page to convert from ounces to grams plus many other useful calculator there. You could also download a trail version of beersmith http://www.beersmith.com/ I have found this very useful and great to use when calculating bitterness levels and making a new recipe.

IBU is a metric unit of measure (milligrams of alpha-acid per litre), the yanks just perverted the formula to make it work with their ounces and gallons. Below is the same formula but written for use with metric units:

IBU=weight_of_hops(g) x %alpha_acid x 1000 x utilization_factor / batch_size(L)
(taken from here)

I've never bothered with using alpha-acid units for anything, but I believe its just the weight of the hops (in ounces) multiplied by the alpha-acid percentage. So if you want to use grams instead divide by 28.35 at the end since there's approximately 28.35 grams per ounce.

AAU = weight_of_hops(g) x %alpha_acid / 28.35

Does this help?

Its good to understand the concepts but in the end, it really is easier to get some brewing software to do the calculations for you ;)

Thanks guys, a little clearer now. Slowly getting there.

Hazz

Latest posts

Back