Woo Bonus!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right!

So will this be a good recipe?

12L of smart buy apple juice
850ml of goulburn valley pear juice
200-300ml of lactose
white wine yeast
water up to 20L

have i missed anything?
I don't really want to do anything too complex for a first cider.

So what brands of juice are good? What happens if you use just your bog standard preservative full juice?? Would dry enzyme help??

So what brands of juice are good? What happens if you use just your bog standard preservative full juice?? Would dry enzyme help??

A No frill Apple and Pear from Aldi

Best not to use enzyme, cider shoud not be bone dry, you want some residual sweetness for body .

Pumpy

Davy101 - look at the last page. watered down cider is crap. dont water it down. normal juice has an OG of about 1048 so it will ferment out to be about 5% (maybe a little more with champaign or cider yeast). but otherwise it looks ok. the white wine yeast will dry it out a little. so yeah the lactose will keep some sweetness.

check out the other topics in this thread. esp the Simplest Cider thread. that should give you some more ideas.

Reviled - the better the juice the better the product. but all in all the normal supermatket stuff is apparently ok. From memory the preservitives they use in juices etc can inhibit yeast growth and thus fermentation. so steer away from preservitives.

edit: beaten bby pumpy

Maybe a stupid question.

But the juice we are talking about is the long life juice from the shelf right?

well not the juice concentrates etc but yes just the normal bottles juice, like berri, P&N, Golden Circle, homebrand etc etc. Come in 2L, 2.3L, 3L 3.3L etc containers.

stu, of the ISB made a real good cider a year or so ago.

was just self juiced apples and us05 from memory. maybe some nutrient.

I thought it was awesome as I initially cringed thinking it would be way to dry with hot fuels, but I loved it.

i tried to use fresh juice out of the fridge with an oztops lid and all i can say is horrible. according to some researrch the preservitives in it react badly with yeast and create off flavours. this certainly was my experiance with it anyway.

Ive been looking at the labels of apple juice at the supermarket lately, most of them are around 99.7% reconstituted apple juice. What exactly does reconstituted mean?
Can remember what he other .03% was.

Ive been looking at the labels of apple juice at the supermarket lately, most of them are around 99.7% reconstituted apple juice. What exactly does reconstituted mean?
Can remember what he other .03% was.

afaik it means the juice has been concentrated then watered-reconstituded- back down.i could be wrong though.

Brewer Pete: did you see my post about cold conditioning? Is that something you do for ciders? I'm a hamfisted amateur but I enjoy learning from people who've been doing it a while.

Sorry, had relatives over and have not been keeping up on AHB. I bulk age in the coldest part of the house but I don't have anything under refrigeration.

Send me a PM with the post link and I'll make sure if I didn't read it, I do.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

What is 11.25 Brix

Brix is an easy direct way of expressing the percentage of fermentable sugar solute (weight) in solution of water. Kind of like "the metric" of measuring fermentables in solution compared to Imperialist measurements.

11.25% sugar to water by weight, in solution, at a temperature of 20 degrees C.

Or 11.25 grams of sugar per 100 grams of total solution.

See, dead easy!

Or for those stuck in gravity land, about 1.045 as a gravity measure.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Thought Id give it a go.
My 1st Cider...

12L Aldi Apple Juice (99.7% reconstituted apple juice)
4L water
500g LDME
10g Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

OG 1.042

Fingers crossed.

Gregor

If I were to use 20L of aldi apple juice how much and what kind of sugar should I use?

I was think 1kg of dextrose disolved in 1L of boiling water.

Apart from yeast, nutrient and possibly lactose should I add anything else?

Unless you deliberately want a dry, highly alcoholic thinnish cider, I'd just go the juice, lactose, yeast and nutrient.

only if you want somthing higher then about 5%ABV .. your call but in my mind will diminish the flavor and get you right royal real quick

Ive tried the oztops and think they are rather good for what they are
I tried it with the ALDI 100% juices and all turned out far better then i thought they would
Also a great way for young players to try out different juices or crushed juices with additives in smaller quantities before going a full 20L batch

Tom

Does the yeast react with the sugars in the apple juice?

I have never tried using 100% apple juice before... Only kits with poor results. I'm will put one together tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

I checked out ALDI's prices at www.smartershopping.com.au. WESTCLIFF Apple Juice 2L is $1.89. So all up with a pack of US-05 it's just under $25.

Latest posts

Back