Wit Without The Oats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreic

Reaction score
OK, having a poor brewday (evening). I had a stuck sparge that required emptying the mashtun and fixing the manifold before sparging :angry: then I noticed my recipe f@#$ up...

I'm brewing a Wit. The recipe has 50% Pilsner malt, 45% torrified wheat and 5% rolled oats. I've done the mash without the oats :eek: I'm going to proceed anyway as is... what effect will missing the oats have on the beer?

Won't be the last screw up I ever make...

cheers, Andrei

It'll be fine, andreic. The oats would have given it a bit more body and maybe a little flavour, but the beer'll be fine without them. Keep going. What else could go wrong? ;)

a slight silkyness/mouthfeel difference without the oats, but i reckon bugger all difference in flavour. rock on!

How do you define a stuck sparge....

If you are still getting wort through - then it is a slow sparge.

If nothing comes through then it is a stuck sparge.

What temp did you use and did you do a protien rest with that much toriified wheat.
last time i used alot of torrified wheat - my Mash floated!!!

But I agree with Tangent's comments

How do you define a stuck sparge....

If you are still getting wort through - then it is a slow sparge.

If nothing comes through then it is a stuck sparge.

What temp did you use and did you do a protien rest with that much toriified wheat.
last time i used alot of torrified wheat - my Mash floated!!!

But I agree with Tangent's comments

Stuck sparge = nothing coming out. I got about 2L then nothing... I fixed the problem by pulling out the mash, fixing my SS braid manifold, then putting the mash back in and sparging. The SS braid had flattened and wasn't letting anything through where it joined on my brass tap fittings...

I did a rest at 50c for 20 minutes, then main rest at 65c. My mash didn't float.

This Wit may bot be that great, but hopefully better than my last one, and at least further down the road to brewing a great Wit for my tastes!

Latest posts

Back