Windsor Gone Nuts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I pitched a 1 litre starter of Windsor into a strong ale (1.062 start) on Sunday afternoon, got home last night (Monday) to find the airlock blowing so hard that the cap barely sat still. I put my palm against the conical and it felt like it was at 32C :excl:

In a panic I took the fermenter outside and sprayed it with water to try and cool it down.

I was so concerned that I was going to have fruit punch to drink! I pulled the airlock off and took a sample, down to 1.024 in 24 hours. I cautiously took a sip....yeasty, a little fruitiness, but not what I expected for such a fast, hot ferment!

Is Windsor such a clean fermenting ale yeast that it would not throw off bad flavours when fermenting so warm? I am very surprised how good it tasted :blink:

I was going to re-use the yeast-cake for a Fullers clone this w/e.......not sure what its state is going to be though, too many mutations at that heat?

Any other experiences similar?

Heh...maybe the yeast was happy. Do you think it's possible that the yeast generated a lot of its own heat, what was the ambient temperature like? I don't know anything about this strain so I'd be interested to find out about its properties; as summer and ale brewing is round the corner and I'm looking for a good higer temp yeast.

Well, after cooling it down it seems to have just about done fermenting. I did have a thermostatically controlled electric blanket around it when I first pitched the yeast, the thermostat was set at 19C, so it definitely generated most the heat itself!

After I had it sitting outside in the cool night air for a few hours bubbling away, you should have seen the mozzies attracted to it, in clouds!

Anyway, it still tastes very reasonable, not overly fruity or estery. Could be a very good warm temperature ale producer!

And you are right Warren, my palm is not that accurate :ph34r:;)

I always ferment it at 20 to 21C & love the fruitiness it gives. Perfect balance for an English ale.
It ferments out in approx 3 days if you just sprinkle a single dried packet in, so God knows how quick it'll go with that size starter. It does stop with a bang though & unless you mashed cool, it will probably finish higher than you expect. Please let me know how it turns out with the higher temp, I'm keen to know.

cheers Ross

I always ferment it at 20 to 21C & love the fruitiness it gives. Perfect balance for an English ale.
It ferments out in approx 3 days if you just sprinkle a single dried packet in, so God knows how quick it'll go with that size starter. It does stop with a bang though & unless you mashed cool, it will probably finish higher than you expect. Please let me know how it turns out with the higher temp, I'm keen to know.

cheers Ross

Heck yes it stopped with a bang! Because of my problem with me digital thermometer being 2.5C out, it mashed way to high! So finishing gravity is about 1.022 :( Not good. Did a Fullers ESB clone today, dumped it on the yeast cake and was off within five minutes bubbling away. Took into account the 2.5C error though, should turn out much better!

Put the other into secondary and it tasted really really good, so I guess it is quite capable of remaining clean at high temperatures! Good yeast for summer brewing I would think!

Heck yes it stopped with a bang! Because of my problem with me digital thermometer being 2.5C out, it mashed way to high! So finishing gravity is about 1.022 :( Not good. Did a Fullers ESB clone today, dumped it on the yeast cake and was off within five minutes bubbling away. Took into account the 2.5C error though, should turn out much better!

Put the other into secondary and it tasted really really good, so I guess it is quite capable of remaining clean at high temperatures! Good yeast for summer brewing I would think!

Have only used this yeast twice, the first was slurry given to me by another brewer, nice and fresh, pitched at the rate of 10%. Only achieved an AA of 65%. The latest was new dried from Craftbrewer into a 1.039 wort mashed at 64C which has also achieved an AA of 65%. Had heard that this yeast tends to finish high although the official blurb says:

Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 3 days above 17C.
Moderate attenuation, which will leave a relatively high gravity.
Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent upon inoculation density,
yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
Windsor is a non flocculent strain but some settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining
agents and isinglass.
The aroma is estery to both palate and nose and is usually described as full-bodied, fruity English ales.
It does not display malodours when properly handled. Windsor yeast has found great acceptance in producing
strong tasting bitter beers, stouts, weizen and hefe weizen.
Windsor strain is best used at traditional ale temperatures after re-hydration in the recommended manner

Maybe moderate means 65% Apparent Attenuation.

Was looking for specific properties provided by this yeast and had allowed for an attenuation of 65% in the bitterness calcs, so am happy with the results.

fraser_john, reckon your close to the mark OG 62 - FG 22 = 40 / 62 = AA of 64.5 so it's about spot on for this yeast. If you repitch high the number of healthy cells should ensure the fermentation beats any nasties. Maybe even 300ml of slurry in 23L.

Screwy

fraser_john,

Thanks for reporting back on that, it would appear it can handle quite high temps then without going too funky :) . If you like the character of this yeast, but want better attenuation, try mixing with US-05, it's what i do & it works well. i may well start supplying this as a blend if there's any interest in it.

Cheers Ross

Hmmm, I would like to see if I could drop it past 1.022, I have some of your US05 in the fridge, I might just drop half a pack in each carboy and see if it lowers the gravity. But I really do think it was the mash temperature.

Good idea Ross, might try that some time. Mostly I like to use a yeast which suits what I am trying to make in a beer. Bit like choosing the malt and other ingredients. I like the characteristics provided by this yeast for low alcohol beers, low AA is fine in these beers, leaves some body and provides a good fruity flavour profile. My latest which is a twist on your English Bitter has turned out a cracker, the beer does not give away it's low ABV, stands right up there in flavour and body, the low ABV allows the hop flavour characteristics to really shine through.

Mostly I like to use a yeast which suits what I am trying to make in a beer. Bit like choosing the malt and other ingredients. I like the characteristics provided by this yeast for low alcohol beers, low AA is fine in these beers, leaves some body and provides a good fruity flavour profile. My latest which is a twist on your English Bitter has turned out a cracker, the beer does not give away it's low ABV, stands right up there in flavour and body, the low ABV allows the hop flavour characteristics to really shine through.

Couldn't agree more Screwtop :) - As you know, it's the basis of all my low alcohol beers & it really delivers as you described.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back