Williamswarn Personal Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goomboogo said:
It is a lot of money but it's not a lot when compared to the amount of money involved in carrying out some hobbies. Some people will tell you that you're crazy to drop 8 grand on brewing gear and then go and spend $40 000 restoring an old car. A Williamswarn owner could have gone a less expensive route but they chose not to as it was their choice to make.
Yep

I used to spend a grand a year on a new cricket bat and boots. Wouldn't think twice about spending 250 on a new squash racket. Don't get me started on Golf clubs.

Don't have any of that stuff any more.

Will have my shiny brew stuff for ever.

RM

My kids are into BMX...

I will never be able to afford a new esky, yet alone a WW....

Ducatiboy stu said:
My kids are into BMX...

I will never be able to afford a new esky, yet alone a WW....
Could always trade your shiny silver moto guzzi clone in for one.

RM

Bribie G said:
A Tesla runs mostly on coal, where do you think most electricity still comes from? A thousand Teslas in Melbourne get home, get plugged in, and they shovel more brown coal into the furnaces in the Latrobe Valley. You've simply transferred the pollution from Collins Street to the poor bogans who have to live at Morwell.
off topic but the efficiency of a power station (coal or otherwise) is much more efficient than the inefficient and noisy thing under the bonnet of every car on the road..Yes, you're moving the source of the pollution, but all things being equal it is a reduction (with the benefit that it can be further reduced depending on the source of that power station)

Mine (tesla), if I could afford one would run off solar. Costs nothing but the panels. Truely off topic!

In bagging or otherwise this machine we should not loose sight of the fact that the WW is a "fermentation process" and not a wort production unit.

The manufacturers objective in designing the machine was to produce a "kit based beer" as good as or superior to commercial and/or local craft beers and they achieved that using their own extract kits and this machine/process on at least two occasions that we know of winning Gold and Silver against "all comers" at International competitions.

If you are capable of producing wort equal to or superior to the WW kits which are produced at Speights Brewery in NZ (as are Black Rock kits) and use a WW process (or similar) to ferment them then it is highly likely that you will produce a better beer much faster than traditional process design to produce flat beer requiring clarification/filtering and carbonation and weeks of maturing

Just saying

Cheers

Wobbly

Can you provide a link to the international comp that allows homebrew to be judged against the big multi nationals? Never knew it was possible.

bradsbrew said:
Can you provide a link to the international comp that allows homebrew to be judged against the big multi nationals? Never knew it was possible.
I was just thinking the same thing...

Was it an actual competition open to all and sundry...or was it a competition that only the WW beer was allowed to compete against the 45 biggest brewers in the world

If it was the latter, then the whole argument that the WW is better is basically a whole lot of bullshit.....and shoots down the credibility of the unit....

Roger, Wobbly... we know you love your WW's, and they may well be a fantastic bit of kit, but for fucks sake, stop trying to put across that the WW is being hard done by, simply for the sake of saying that it is being hard done by. You are not doing yourselves any favours at all.

The interesting thing for me is that i have not seen a single WW clone build........

This thread is 11 pages long.
Within it has been established that:

1. WW unit is expensive
2. Ww unit focuses on fermentation and dispensation.
3. WW can ferment any wort from anywhere but has no function to create wort.
4. WW users are very happy with their purchase. At least some of those brewers have experienced a wide variety of wort production systems and fermentation systems.

End result : an expensive system with limitations that suit some brewers and not others.

Now that we have established that, can we please, for christ's/****'s/whatever's sake please move on? Let people who are interested discuss the ins and outs and those who think it's a rip, post in other threads. The braumeister threads generally don't have this amount of either fanboi defensiveness nor anti-system venom and this thread should be similar.

If you're interested in the system, even academically: post. If not: desist.

Last request, will prune if ignored.

I for one am not in the market but I am interested, as always, if there are any plans to include a wort production option in future.

manticle said:
The braumeister threads generally don't have this amount of either fanboi defensiveness nor anti-system venom and this thread should be similar.

Yes, but the makers of the BM didnt go and..........well I think you know why...

I like the concept, the whole brewing under pressure is not something that has generally been done on a small homebrew scale.

The unit does have merit, and would have been generally received a lot better if........

I cant see it as something you can just knock up in the shed using an old keg and some tubing.The engineering is what makes it interesting and unique

But it is not for everyone, nor is a BM or a GF....or an old eskymash tun hanging off the back step on a milk crate

I agree stu. It isn't for everyone, it's not for me and presumably not you either.
I'd just like to see this thread progress.
Currently it's like ourobouros fucked an old lady with alzheimers.

manticle said:
ourobouros fucked an old lady with alzheimers.
You just made my night

That is my word of the week ( even though I had to google it ) :lol:

wobbly said:
Isn't first place in a competition against 45 of the worlds largest breweries satisfaction/proof enough for you. The following is quoted from the topic referenced in post 190 above

"A guy made his 3rd batch of beer in one of our breweries and beat 45 of the worlds biggest breweries in a beer comp. He was the only home brewer to have ever done that in the history of brewing. The only other guy to have done that did it this year with one of our Gen2 machines."

Cheers

Wobbly
It's a real shame that your defence to the challenge was to use that information, information from the marketing.

This competition winning beer being brewed in the WilliamsWarn is admirable, without a doubt, but that in no way means that the WilliamsWarn is capable of doing something that other brewing systems are unable to and thus other brewing systems would be unable to achieve the same feat. It's a great selling point for WilliamsWarn though.

I think one of the owners needs to get the angle grinder out and 'disassemble' the WW in the name of brewing science so we can all see how it works a build a cheap clone... Any takers?

The score so far.

If you can afford a WW and wish to own one, buy one.
If you can't afford a WW, point out how much it costs and put shit on it at every opportunity. Then keep pointing out how much it costs and keep putting shit on it. When you run out of reasons to put shit on it, point out how expensive it is.

**** me. Who really cares?

It's no better a selling point for the WW than it would be for Tefal to say an amateur chef won a gold medal in an international pasta sauce cooking competition against 45 of the biggest pasta sauce companies by opening a bottle of pasta sauce and cooking it in the latest whizz bang Tefal saucepan. Mind you, Tefal might actually post links to an independent site allowing a sceptic to verify their claims; maybe the WW ones exist, I just haven't found them. Although, even if I did I still wouldn't see what it had to do with the price of a loaf of bread

Edit: Assume I'd quoted Welly's post

Ok a lot of people hate this thread well f@# no hang on I'll try another tact

There has been some great banter here I applaude it humor to me

Especially the Kiwi Aussie banter love it

WW guys, girls dont want to be sexist how do you adjust the pressure on it
reason I ask is Im going to give the pressure ferment a go

I like the idea of digital control suggested to me from Trev I think ?? rather than a adjustable valve

Do the WW instructions give you a procedure for different pressures for different yeasts
different pressures at different times of the ferment

Cheers in advance to WW owners

Also interested in the above, so do we know if the pressure is measured at the 'gas' space of the fermenter, or the liquid end taking into account the small, but perhaps reasonable additional pressure felt by yeasties at the bottom. Thinking this may be important for lagers, or perhaps this can simply be adjusted for based on theoretical calcs...

Back