Williams warn hard apple cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Reaction score
Hi

I have williams warn hard apple cider and put in in my mangrove jack extract wort. I put the juice topped up to 23L and added the improver sachet followed by adding the yeast once temp was 22 degree. The instructions was to brew for 4 days and it should be 1.006. It has now been 7 days and still bubbles every 20-30 sec and 1.020 for last two days. I maintained 22 degrees the whole time. Should I bottle if it has been steady at 1.020 or pitch more yeasts how much yeast to get to 1.006, how much should I pitch if I do?

Still bubbling and hasn't reached FG = still fermenting. Leave it.
Do you have a WW? I'm a bit confused, you said you have a WW hard apple cider then put in a MJ extract wort.

I think he's saying he has a WW and he's put the MJ extract kit into it. The WW is basically just a fermenter + dispenser, so you need to prep the wort separately or use a k&k/extract option.

Back to OP, as Wiggdude said, it's still fermenting, so leave it. Your yeast may've been a bit old/stressed/sleepy and has simply taken longer than it normally would. My tiny bit of experience with WLP755 cider yeast is it smashed 90% of the sugars in a few days then took a week or so for the remaining few points.

technobabble66 said:
I think he's saying he has a WW and he's put the MJ extract kit into it. The WW is basically just a fermenter + dispenser, so you need to prep the wort separately or use a k&k/extract option.
Don;t think so as you wouldn't be observing "Bubbles" (via an air lock??) with a WW

The kit may well be one of these http://www.williamswarn.com/Shop/Ingredients/Dry-Apple-Cider-Complete-kit#.VoyNmv2Q-M8 to which he has added some Mangrove Jack malt extract rather than the two tins of WW Dry Cider and if he used the tin yeast which is SO4 it should have been well and truly finished

Who knows

Cheers

Wobbly

Considering the WW is a closed fermentation unit it won't have a bubbling airlock (God forbid if someone did that mod..). Does it ferment faster under pressure or does it ferment faster because you can ferment at higher temps for the same result? I'm thinking along technodude's lines with the oldish yeast, or maybe it was old yeast that was treated badly and dry pitched rather than hydrated as per the recommendations.

As per wobbly, I doubt the OP is using a Williams warn unit, who has that kind of cash to splash anyway.

He's using a cider kit, made by WW, and added it to something else

My $.02

My angle is the figures quoted were from WW, so 4 days in one of those means more for the average bod.
Wobbly has the cash to splash.

Memnoch said:
Hi

I have williams warn hard apple cider and put in in my mangrove jack extract wort. I put the juice topped up to 23L and added the improver sachet followed by adding the yeast once temp was 22 degree. The instructions was to brew for 4 days and it should be 1.006. It has now been 7 days and still bubbles every 20-30 sec and 1.020 for last two days. I maintained 22 degrees the whole time. Should I bottle if it has been steady at 1.020 or pitch more yeasts how much yeast to get to 1.006, how much should I pitch if I do?
Yeah, but was that with the addition of Mangove Jack malt extract? An FG of 1006 is almost completely dry cider. Fine, but the FG would end up higher if you've added malt extract (it would have some sweetness, not dry).

wobbly said:
Don;t think so as you wouldn't be observing "Bubbles" (via an air lock??) with a WW

The kit may well be one of these http://www.williamswarn.com/Shop/Ingredients/Dry-Apple-Cider-Complete-kit#.VoyNmv2Q-M8 to which he has added some Mangrove Jack malt extract rather than the two tins of WW Dry Cider and if he used the tin yeast which is SO4 it should have been well and truly finished
Aah, yeah. I think you may well be correct - not a WW, but just a WW-branded kit/extract in a regular FV, to which he's added some extra malt extract.

Also, the bubbles may well be just CO2 coming out of solution from the finished beer/cider.
Or could be a sign of continuing fermentation.
Basically the bubbles rising out of the wort or going through the airlock are NOT a reliable indication of whether the fermentation is still going. You HAVE to go by the SG reading - i.e.: that it flatlines for a few days, at least.
FWIW, i'd also correlate this a bit with whatever the calculated/estimated FG should be. SG=1.020 seems very high for a cider, even one with 50% malt extract, so i'd guess it's not finished. If the SG flatlines for a few days, i'd actually guess it's more likely stalled, in which case you'll need to either try to rouse the dozy buggers up (stir/shake the FV, etc) or wait it out and hope it naturally fires back up over a week or two.

Either way, the time suggested on the pack/kit for how long it should take to finish is just a rough guide. It can deviate/extend quite a bit from that, depending on a few factors (e.g.: condition of the dry yeast, as i mentioned earlier)

Think I caused confusion, when I said wort I mean the metal cyclinder with air lock. I had been told that's my wort when brewing? I'm still new to brewing won't sure on all the terminology.

The WW web site says you can use this styles make the brew also.

I contacted WW they said to give it a stir as some of the yeast might be sitting on top. I did that and it started to bubble again. I tasted the sample and it taste quite good just not finished.

My next one I'm going to try is the WW Belgian ale.

image.jpeg

Much clearer. The wort is the liquid the yeast is added to. The thing it is fermented in is called the fermentor (or fermenter). The extract is the stuff in the tin that is the main ingredient for your cider.
So... fermentation has not finished for potentially a number of reasons. Give it more time to ferment and keep it warm. 22°C is a good temp for that cider.

Back