Will This Work As A Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well silly me bought a kegging setup before I had got all the gear to do full size (20lt) batches.

So with time running out and money running low I was wondering if I could get away with using this for my boil kettle.

It is a 50lt keg that has had a nice thread put on it so it can be used as a still. I know commercial brew kettles don't have large openings like stock pots. I'd have to keep an eye on it for boil overs.

I no longer distill anymore so I could convert it to a boil kettle but it would be a shame to get rid of the nice job that someone has done on it.

I might go down the LHBS to see if anyone wants to swap it for a keggle or something.

Or........If anyone here wants to swap it for one. :D

Cheers Fil
Keg.JPG
top.JPG

I'll just assume, like me, you have a receipt tucked away somewhere for your keg.
Just like my milk crates to I spose.. anyway, I basically just cut the top out with a 4" grinder, leaving the handles then drilled a hole toward the bottom, silver braised a 1/2" brass nipple in, screwed a ball valve on and stuck a 5/8' - or something like that - barbed nipple in it.

Works like a ripper. Bit heavy duty. But I like heavy duty.

Yeah I'm planning on doing Dr. Smurtos golden ale take 2. I eventually want to get a stock pot so I guess what I'm asking is can I get away with using this keg as is this weekend?

Yeah I'm planning on doing Dr. Smurtos golden ale take 2. I eventually want to get a stock pot so I guess what I'm asking is can I get away with using this keg as is this weekend?

They work as an awesome kettle,

Top quality stainless
Perfect size

To cut open the top just run the guard of the grinder along the top rim and you get a nice clean opening.

QldKev

Yeah you'll be right to use it without cutting the top out. In the long term you'd want to open it up to enable easier cleaning and manage both boil off rate and boil overs. But should be fine in the meantime.

+1 the above but you would want to be super careful about how close you get to that small opening during boils.

All that steam and heat only has one place to shoot out - dare say it will be like a hairdryer stream of heat coming out of the opening.

Good luck with it!

I reckon i've done near to 200 batches in mine, and when you hit it with a green scrubby, it still comes up like new!. 4'' angle grinder is most definately your friend. Be careful though, and mark it out first.

I just stick welded ( with ss rods ) a socket on, then drilled a hole through it. Wish i'd done a 3/4 or even 1'' socket though, mine is 3/8 and is a bit slow. Not so slow i'd expend the energy to fix it, but one day i might.

Back