Will this be terrible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
So I am part way through the mash for a Schneider style Weiss which had a grain bill of:
Pale wheat: 3.77 kg
Vienna: 1kg
Pilsner: 1kg
Carramunich: 350g

I was just looking back at my biab spreadsheet and I realised that I completely stuffed the grain bill up when I wrote it down (trying to do 20 things at once) it and I have ended up using:

Wheat: 3.9kg
Vienna: 250g
Pilsner: 140g
Carramunich: 100g

So... Way off. I realise most wheat's end up being 50:50 wheat/pale.

What would this be like if I fermented as is?
Can I improve it with extract later?

My plan is to no-chill into a 17l cube and dilute later, so I can always increase the batch size later with different malt (extract or otherwise).

Would appreciate any suggestions...

I've done 100% wheat saisons which were very enjoyable. I would just ferment it as is.

Like earl said just ferment it . It will most likely be one of your best beers ever

Ok thanks guys hopefully it is good. I didn't realise 100 % wheat beers were a thing. Always learning!

Ok thanks guys hopefully it is good. I didn't realise 100 % wheat beers were a thing. Always learning!

The main reason I think they're not more of a thing is that they can be a bitch to sparge. Not so much of an issue for BIAB, but I was also assured by Ian Watson when he was working at Fortitude that there are some tricks for 3V systems, even on a commercial scale, without having to resort to rice hulls.

BTW, maybe rethink whether you will dilute the 17L cube or how much by since your grain bill was substantially less than intended.

The main reason I think they're not more of a thing is that they can be a bitch to sparge. Not so much of an issue for BIAB, but I was also assured by Ian Watson when he was working at Fortitude that there are some tricks for 3V systems, even on a commercial scale, without having to resort to rice hulls.

BTW, maybe rethink whether you will dilute the 17L cube or how much by since your grain bill was substantially less than intended.

Thanks for the advice. Luckily the gravity finished where I wanted as I was scaling down the recipe using the biab spreadsheet when I stuffed up the grain bill. I've actually only ended up with 12l into the fermenter, so my system needs a lot of adjustment. I really need to get a more accurate figure for my boil off rate and get better at reducing trub levels as I ended up leaving a few litres in the cube.

As predicted by many of you, this has turned out to be quite a nice drop. Turned out to be quite a sulphur bomb during the ferment, but is now on tap and getting a good run.

Latest posts

Back