Will This Be A Good Brew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab

Reaction score
How you all doing. This is my 8th brew.
I put down a dark ale brew last night , would like some feedback on how it may turn out and if what I did was ok. I boiled 1 kilo of liquid malt & 250 grams light dry malt in 3 litres of water for 15 mins and stirred constantly. At flame out I added the 1.7 kilo tin of beermakers old + 12 grams williamette pellet hops ,stirred & covered pot & let stand to cool.
I steeped 135 grams of chocolate grains in another pot for 30 mins in 2 litres hot water not boiling.Poured another litre of hot water over grains,removed grains and boiled remaining liquid for 15 mins. combined all ingredients and sieved into fermenter, ended up with about 5 litres of wort topped up fermenter to 20 litres.
Had a mini starter of safale s-04 made and pitched into fermenter at 20c at 8.30 last night.Dont know what time it kicked off,checked brew this morning at 6.30am and bugger me, the airlock was going at 100 miles an hour, never had a brew take off so quick & bubble so strong , the brew is currently sitting around 21c.

Cheers.

Sounds like it will be pretty good to me - but would need a schooner or two just to be sure

But it is hard to comment when you dont give the brand of can, what OG did u get and how many litres.

you could have done one boil if the pot was bigger and added the liquid from the grains into it.

Your method looks good.

How you doing Ken, I did list the can it was a 1.7 kg beermakers old
OG was 1044

Cheers.

I think I might steal that recipe; sounds prety good. Something to whip up when I get back from my holiday :)

sab said:
How you doing Ken, I did list the can it was a 1.7 kg beermakers old
OG was 1044

Cheers.
[post="84042"][/post]​

Ok - cant read - og of 1044...

you could have boiled the hops instead of at flame out....

Generally - when u add extra malt you need to add extra hop bitterness to keep the beer in balance.
Cans typically have 25 IBU's - so if u add extra malt then the bitterness drops..
so u need to add more hops as well to get back to the bitterness.

You could always dry hop in the secondary.
But it should taste good.

[/quote]

Ok - cant read - og of 1044...

you could have boiled the hops instead of at flame out....

Generally - when u add extra malt you need to add extra hop bitterness to keep the beer in balance.
Cans typically have 25 IBU's - so if u add extra malt then the bitterness drops..
so u need to add more hops as well to get back to the bitterness.

You could always dry hop in the secondary.
But it should taste good.

Thanks for the info Ken ,I will take it on board I suppose I did not boil the hops as Im not into very bitter beers and as I did not boil the tin I thought I would not lose any bitterness so I added hops more for flavour & aroma, but I understand now what your telling me regarding keeping the beer in balance due to adding more malt.

Cheers.

looks good sab.

most kits are made to be fermented with an extra 1kg of malt/sugar so your recipie should be fine. no problem with balance there. and an old ale kit is going to more malty then hoppy/bitter anyway. if going for a bit more hop flavor boil the hops for up to 20 minutes. cheers.
joe

Well, I'm going to cause conjecture and disagree with you GMK :p

Anyway, yeah, the bitterness will go down, but I don't see anything wrong with that. I (and this is my preference) like my dark ales to be really malty, with little hop flavour in them, and the amount that is in the recipe is the amount that I like.

However, I know how much you love your hops, Ken...

Back