Will Pbw And Starsan Remove Mould

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well threw down a brew last night and was very supprised to find mould growing all over most my gear ( spoons thermos etc )

I rember when i put it away last, into the sealed container i keep it in. There was some spilt malt extract ( dry ) dust that had gone in the container ( I didnt think anything of it ).

So im asuming that plus some moisture has got in there and turned into mould over the last few months.

Now im at the stage of, Do i chuck all the gear with it on it or will a good scrub with PBW and Starsan remove it ??

Is there a better way to go about this ?

Looking forward to the advise..

Cheers Vice

Im a little hesitant to use bleach after i read that you cant use bleach then star san after..

Im taking it that as long as i rinse with hot water after its soaked in bleach ill be ok to use my normal sanatiser ( Starsan ) on my next brew ??

Cheers

Im a little hesitant to use bleach after i read that you cant use bleach then star san after..

Im taking it that as long as i rinse with hot water after its soaked in bleach ill be ok to use my normal sanatiser ( Starsan ) on my next brew ??

Cheers

I'm sure the good Dr is right.

If you're worried about it, why not give it all a good soak in some warm PBW, then rinse, then a soak in Starsan.

If that doesn't work then you can always try the bleach - just be sure to use the correct concentration and rinse thoroughly.

Kool

Thanks for the responses guys.

Cheers Vice.

Rinse after using bleach and you will be fine.

+1

If you definately want to use Five Star products then -

PBW is a cleaner

Starsan is a sanitiser

Expensive products to remove a bit of mould is overkill IMO, bit of 25:1 bleach solution and elbow grease, then a good rinse.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back