Fermenting Fridge - Mould!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supra-Jim

Reaction score
Hi All,

Am curious about some feedback from others who are experiencing this, or have over come it. I run a fridge (normal domestic fridge below, freezer on top) for fermentation. It on/off operation is controlled by a fridgemate when fermenting, otherwise it is switched off. Anyway, i keep getting mould growing in the freezer area. Freezer are is kept empty, unless its a few days before a brew and i am freezing some ice bricks for chilling.

Any suggestions about the best way to prevent mould growing in the freezer when the fridge is not switched on??? Other than removing or leaving the freezer door open (not practicle).

Would one of those closet camels/hippos (i.e. moisture absorbing containers) help?

Cheers SJ

How often do you brew?

Would it be feasible to simply leave it on?

CHeers HB79, some good ideas there.

Galamus, I brew every couple of weeks, but i really want to avoid running the fridge unless absolutely necessary (already runny a chesty for kegs)

Cheers SJ

I was under the impression they didn't go through that much electricity. I've got a 300ltr chesty and an old hand me down fridge used for fermentation.

I have the same problem at times and have given the fridge a good clean and wiped it over with some bleach and a clean cloth. If there are any other solutions Id be happy to hear them.

Cheers

When my fermenting freezer isnt going I put a stubbie cooler in the door to leave it opened a bit no mould any more.

sav

I use a pump spray bottle of Idophor mix to coat the inner surface of my fridge and freezer semi regularly.
Then every now and then I do a complete clean and soak with bleach.

With mine as a fermenting fridge I would just give it a clean with bleach, dry and do the open box of Bi-carb to absorb any excess moisture (also worked for long term storage when it was in the shed)

Back