Wierd Floaties In The Boil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy

Reaction score
Maryland, Newcastle,New South Wales, Australia, Ea
so i over sparged somehow, dont know how :eek: but i did.
i followed the same routine as usual lol.
anyway, had to fit 90 litres in a 80 litre pot. Wasnt gunna happen. So i added 75 or so and let the other 12-15 litres sit in a fermenter untill i boiled some off out of the pot. Then i added the 15 litres. After about 5 mins it looked like someone had thrown in a bowl of dog biscuits or spewed in there.Huge chunks just rolling around with the boil. :eek: Can anyone tell me if this is ok. Or more to the point what is it.

Protein dropping out of suspension thats good :)

Much will boil off

Pumpy :)

My guess is that because the wort you had sitting in the fermenter would have cooled down - the sudden violent change in temperature from the cooler temperature to boiling when you dumped it into the kettle - caused the hot break to happen all in one go and therefore the particles formed have just been bigger. No more of them, just stuck into bigger chunks.

Probably break up during the remainder of the boil and by the end look the same as normal.

Same reason as people think a quick cool causes a better cold break... it doesn't actually make any more break material come out of suspension - the "sudden" change in temperature just causes bigger floccs to form and they consequently sink faster and are easier to separate. But in your case it was sudden heat and hot break rather than sudden cooling and coldbreak.

Nice theory - might even be true.....

Thirsty

My guess is that because the wort you had sitting in the fermenter would have cooled down - the sudden violent change in temperature from the cooler temperature to boiling when you dumped it into the kettle - caused the hot break to happen all in one go and therefore the particles formed have just been bigger. No more of them, just stuck into bigger chunks.

Probably break up during the remainder of the boil and by the end look the same as normal.

Same reason as people think a quick cool causes a better cold break... it doesn't actually make any more break material come out of suspension - the "sudden" change in temperature just causes bigger floccs to form and they consequently sink faster and are easier to separate. But in your case it was sudden heat and hot break rather than sudden cooling and coldbreak.

Nice theory - might even be true.....

Thirsty
sounds about right, as i added the leftover wort at 2 differant intervals and each time the chunks got bigger and bigger as explains the dumping of cooler wort to the already boiling wort. The chunks didnt change size through the boil but they did stay out of the way when whirlflocking. So end result was better than i expected. Fermenting fine now with a higher efficiency than normal as well lol. Could be a winner as i added the hops 15mins earlier than planned. So unplanned higher ibu to equal the unplanned efficiency jump. Really looking forward to tasting this beer.,cheers for your help guys :beer:
p.s was 100%pils,no wheat

definately over sparged with this one came out 10 points above anticipated estimated gravity with heaps to boil off lol, and feremnting away like a nightmare come good!, tried continual spargeing on a double batch the following day and hit the same target as the stuffed up chunky batch lol. Continual sparging is the go from now on :D
Its great when you think youve stuffed a beer and it ends up coming out great lol (taste test yet to come)

definately over sparged with this one came out 10 points above anticipated estimated gravity with heaps to boil off lol, and feremnting away like a nightmare come good!, tried continual spargeing on a double batch the following day and hit the same target as the stuffed up chunky batch lol. Continual sparging is the go from now on :D
Its great when you think youve stuffed a beer and it ends up coming out great lol (taste test yet to come)

Continual Sparging = Fly Sparging. Welcome to the dark side B)

Lefty

Back