Widmer Hefewiezen Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James L

Reaction score
Guys,

I managed to get a mate to get me a bottle of Widmer Hefewiezen from the US for my B'day a few weeks back, and i gave it a try on Saturday, I plated the dregs onto a malt agar plate, and some lovely white yeast colonies have sprouted.

I would like to use the yeast in a brew, but first, I was wondering whether anyone knew whether the yeast that Widmer ferment with is the yeast that they bottle condish with? I'm guessing it is, but i'm not 100% sure. (i know that some breweries can use different yeast in the bottle).

Also, would anyone know what variety of yeast it would be? Am wheat? or could it be Kolsch?

Any help is appreciated.

James.

Apparently that's an altbier yeast from Zum Uerige brewery and the origin of the White Labs American Hefeweizen yeast WLP320. So it's a clean yeast you could use for alts or Am wheats or APAs or anything that needs a clean yeast really. I've used the WLP320 in wheats and pale ales and it works really nicely IMO. I've never used it for an alt. I did plan to but never got round to it and can't see why it wouldn't be good for that.

Thanks for the info Stuster.

Sounds like a handy yeast to add to the collection...

Latest posts

Back