Why

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob58

Reaction score
HI Gentleman
Kegged a amber ale yesterday and bottled what was left checked the bottles this morning and found a yeasty ring around the top of the beer any ideas Iam thinking secondary fermemation I used carb drops and gravity had been sitting at 1010for acouple of days Used a us05 yeast and brewed at 16 to 18C
Cheers Bob

HI Gentleman
Kegged a amber ale yesterday and bottled what was left checked the bottles this morning and found a yeasty ring around the top of the beer any ideas Iam thinking secondary fermemation I used carb drops and gravity had been sitting at 1010for acouple of days Used a us05 yeast and brewed at 16 to 18C
Cheers Bob

I'm thinking what your thinking is on the money.

Pack 'em away somewhere safe for a week so if they go bang, no one loses an eye, and then test one for over carb.
you might need to relive the pressure from the rest.

BF

Hey Bob,

Can you post your recipe and we'll get an idea where your gravity should have finished. Also how big where the bottles you used? I'm assuming you used the coopers sugar bottle drops.

Cheers dude :beerbang:

Interesting.
I usually bottle the last litre or so of dregs from my fermenter in 3 X 330 ml stubbies and put 1 carb drop in each. The bulk of my batch gets bulk primed. I notice a ring on top of the beer in the dregs stubbies but there is nothing in the rest of my batch that has been bulk primed with dextrose. There is usually a fair wack of sediment in the dregs stubbies and enough yeast to make a starter for a new batch.

Hey Bob,

Can you post your recipe and we'll get an idea where your gravity should have finished. Also how big where the bottles you used? I'm assuming you used the coopers sugar bottle drops.

Cheers dude :beerbang:

The recipe is
2kg amber lme
1kg light amber dme
200grms carapil 200 grms cyrstal grain seeped for 20mins
60grms hersbrucker for 60mins
30grm " for 30
20grms " for 15
10grms " for 0
us05 yeast
Start gravity 1040
brewed for 2weeks at 16 to18deg for 2 weeks gravity over two reading was 1010 so went ahead with kegging and bottling
after 19lts in the keg got 4x750 and 2x330 from bottom of the keg
used 2carb drops in each 750 bottle and 1 in each 330ml bottle I am thinking it is just the dregs of the bottom of the fermenter
cheers Bob

The recipe is
2kg amber lme
1kg light amber dme
200grms carapil 200 grms cyrstal grain seeped for 20mins
60grms hersbrucker for 60mins
30grm " for 30
20grms " for 15
10grms " for 0
us05 yeast
Start gravity 1040
brewed for 2weeks at 16 to18deg for 2 weeks gravity over two reading was 1010 so went ahead with kegging and bottling
after 19lts in the keg got 4x750 and 2x330 from bottom of the keg
used 2carb drops in each 750 bottle and 1 in each 330ml bottle I am thinking it is just the dregs of the bottom of the fermenter
cheers Bob
Should Read from bottom of fermenter

Yeah I do the same and there's normally a little bit of residue from the bottom of the carboy as you tilt it to get the rest of the beery goodness.

Once it's done fermenting in the bottle and you've left it in the fridge for a couple days all that crap will settle to the bottom.

RDWHAHB. :beer:

It's the US05. Does that to me too - most of the yeast settles down, some of it settles up.

Give the bottle a gentle swirl to loosen the sediment off the top. Most will settle to the bottom, but you might have to do it a couple of times to get it all down.

It's the US05. Does that to me too - most of the yeast settles down, some of it settles up.

Give the bottle a gentle swirl to loosen the sediment off the top. Most will settle to the bottom, but you might have to do it a couple of times to get it all down.

Thanks Nick
I think you have hit the nail on the head this morning I did that and it seems to have settled will have another look tomorrow
Cheers Bob

Latest posts

Back