Why Red IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally a lot more toffee/caramel/toast and often slight roastiness in a Red IPA vs IPA. Basically much more malt backbone to accompany the "in your face" hops.
One significant advantage IMO of Red IPA vs standard IPA is once the beer has aged slightly and the hop intensity fades. With a standard IPA you are often left with a very bland beer, with many RED IPA's you are still left with an equally delicious beer. One example that springs to mind is Heretic Evil Twin.... fresh from the brewery it is incredible; the cans we get have some age on them & we are still left with a delicious beer which is quite different to the super fresh version.
By adding a small amount of roasted barley would get a red colour, and may also add just a smidgen of roastiness.

The few red IPAs I have had, have all been enjoyable but different. Some are just red in colour some are super malty, some are super caramelly.

Then we have the UK beers on the red spectrum and we even have the 'amber fluid' of past. All subjective to your aim or style you wish to brew. Lately with my own brewing I have realised the less I try to meet a 'style' the more I like the end result. Im now focusing on style influenced beers or just beers with flavours I like.

1wdgm1.jpg

Ferg, I think these guys are talking about real IRA.

In any case, isn't the answer to the original question obvious... red goes faster ;)

Latest posts

Back