Why is it called a "pot" of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick guide
0b9e85de4b7b48c9d355e25489a80549.jpg

I'm sure there are/were 7oz beers in Qld. I did a bit of bar work in the late 80's and IIRC 7's were available. Pots were the preferred size 99% of the time though.

I'm sure there are/were 7oz beers in Qld. I did a bit of bar work in the late 80's and IIRC 7's were available. Pots were the preferred size 99% of the time though.

Definitely are. And pints too. Table is a bit of a 5oz Fosters Light in the accuracy dept...

I've a bit of an American accent remaining, even after 20 years here. Every bugging time I say pot, they pour a pint, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to change my pronunciation to get the right thing.

Where the hell did schooner come from? It looks nothing like a boat.

The link I posted above claims it comes from a legal dispute over pubs trying to sell smaller vessels as 'pints'. A Schooner is a smaller ship with only 2 masts, compared to a full-rigged ship with 3 masts.

Basically its a metaphor from a time when ships where relevant.

I can't say I know much about where the term "pot" comes from, but I do know the different beer glass terminology in QLD v NSW can be potentially dangerous.

25 odd years ago I walked into the Halekulani Bowls Club and asked how much it was for a pot. The young "man mountain" behind the bar leans across, puts his face to mine and quietly growls " What the **** did you just say to me? Get out or I'm gonna come over there, drag you out and belt shit out of ya." Needless to say I was shocked at the big fella's poor attitude but luckily realized where the confusion lay. As soon as i said I was from QLD the tension went from his face. By the time I went on to tell him I only wanted a glass of beer and not a bag of weed he was all laughs and smiles.

He shouted me a couple of SCHOONERS and was the perfect host for the rest of the afternoon. Phew.

Under Joh, anything over a teaspoon consumed after 3pm or before 1 in the afternoon incurred a $500 fine, disposession of your house and kids and a phone book spine across the upper teeth.

Under Joh, anything over a teaspoon consumed after 3pm or before 1 in the afternoon incurred a $500 fine, disposession of your house and kids and a phone book spine across the upper teeth.

And if you did it in company the riot squad would have you.

Reminds me of about 30 years ago working the clubs in Tweed. Every QLDer that came in would simply ask for a pot. We gave up asking for a pot of what (usually at least 6 beers on tap) and would just pour our fancy. Even saw a pot of water go across the bar once.

And then on Saturday was on day release at the local RSL and sauntered to the bar and asked for a schooner of Stella. Barman said I can only do a pot or pint. I said I want a schooner though. He told me there's hardly any difference between a schooner and a pint. I thought my first beer must've been laced with something as I simply didn't get what he was saying. He then proceeded to the fridge and pulled out 2 fancy Stella glasses and asked again pot or pint? I laughed and went for the pint. He poured it then whipped out a Stella branded knife to knock the creamy head off. Then told me he'd only charge me for a schooner. I didn't have the heart to tell him it's BUL so gave him another laugh and disappeared into the masses.

He poured it then whipped out a Stella branded knife to knock the creamy head off. Then told me he'd only charge me for a schooner. I didn't have the heart to tell him it's BUL so gave him another laugh and disappeared into the masses.

This whole theater thing with the water sprayed into the glass and the spatula cutting the head off with Stella really sh!ts me.

First part of the process waters down the beer (Admittedly, not much - but still...) and the second is a waste of beer. I refuse to install driptray water sprayers when the brewery specifies them. /rant over

In Victoria a few years ago, there was a push for the Schmiddy (330mL I think.) As if the corner publican does not already have enough glassware to try to find space for. Needless to say - that concept was a flash in the pan that didn't last long.

A few venues around the country are now offering DIY pouring. The beer is metered and charged out by the mL on consumption. Venue staff need to reactivate the system after a predetermined amount has been poured for RSA purposes. Customers can pour as much or as little as they want into their glass each time.

Down here in Tas we often call a "pot" either just that OR more commonly a "ten ounce" - as that's truer to its origins than whatever you Canadians call it. Other than that we have pints but oddly we don't call those a "twenty ounce" (logic fail). Things got weird when craft pubs started popping up, my local, for example, refers to them as "small" (pot/10oz) or a "large" (schooner) - no pints, I'm sure they make a better margin (and I don't get as drunk)! Nearly all other places only do tens and pints though. There are names for our six and eight ounce beers but I can't recall because, lets be honest, who would waste their time with them!

Latest posts

Back